Admiral Clarence A. Hill visor

dskjl

HILL CLARENCE A. HILL, JR. "Mark" Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy (Ret.) Admiral Hill was born in New Jersey on October 10, 1920. He entered the U.S. Naval Academy in the summer of 1940 as a member of the Class of 1944. It was wartime class that completed the curriculum in three years. Graduating in the summer of 1943, he served on the submarine USS Ray (SS271) during the Pacific campaign of World War II. The submarine conducted many successful patrols, sinking Japanese shipping and endured some hair-raising experiences including sitting on the bottom of Lingayen Gulf while under attack by the Japanese. Following WWII, Admiral Hill became a naval aviator, a rare career change for any naval officer. As an aviator he participated in combat in the Korean War, flying from carriers in a special night attack squadron. He subsequently transitioned to jet aircraft and commanded a squadron of A4 Skyhawk attack planes. Following a tour as the as the Executive Officer of the USS Saratoga, one of our first super carriers, he then commanded the USSS Independence, another modern carrier. Selected for promotion to the rank of rear admiral, he served as head of the U.S. naval mission in Brazil. He spent many of his shore based years involved with manpower affairs and served as the Assistant Chief of Naval Operations for Manpower. Hill retired from active duty in 1973. A year later he became closely associated with recently retired Admiral Thomas Moorer, former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Moorer had been the key founder of the Association of Naval Aviation, an organization dedicated to the promotion of naval air. Together Moorer and Hill spent much time on Capitol Hill extolling the importance of naval aviation. They were quite successful in keeping the Congress aware of significant issues involving naval aviation. Later Moorer and Hill founded the Naval Aviation Foundation in order to provide educational and humanitarian services to members of the naval aviation community. Following Moorer's death, Hill became the president of that organization. He was greatly honored to be chosen to deliver the eulogy at Moorer's funeral. Hill championed several causes including the USS Liberty Association, an organization that has unsuccessfully tried to persuade the Congress to convene a special investigation of the attack on the USS Liberty by the Israelis during the conflict in the Mediterranean during 1973. A traditionalist, Hill opposed "women in combat," and expressed himself publicly on the issue. He was also a critic of some of the changes that occurred at the U.S. Naval Academy subsequent to WW II, particularly the "new ethics" program. Hill was fond of breeding race horses and maintained a stable of thoroughbreds that could be seen at tracks in the eastern U.S. He was often in the winner circle and his NavAir Stable still operates in Kentucky. Hill's military awards include the Bronze Star medal with combat "V."

post-8016-0-13462400-1488765955_thumb.jpg

post-8016-0-09976700-1488765956_thumb.jpg

post-8016-0-59705200-1488765958.jpg

That is an awesome cap.

I have his belt buckle. It is the bottom buckle in this picture.

post-10825-0-98500100-1488771531_thumb.jpeg

Here is a picture of the Admiral when he was a LCDR flying the Skyraider.

post-10825-0-79790800-1488771592_thumb.jpeg

Awesome pic and nice buckles. I just called the seller of the green visor and picked up the Blue as well. Can's wait to get the set together.

Thanks,

• 2 years later...

Anybody know what ribbons earned?

I have seen ver few photo and they are a blurry and difficult to make out.

• 8 months later...
Military_Curator

I'm glad you were able to reunite the greens together. I always love a story with a happy ending, haha! Interesting he was aviation and submarines. Amazing purchases.

Best wishes and stay safe,

Parks

Great looking Aviation Greens coat. Did you add the ribbons to the Green coat?

I didn't think ribbons were worn on Aviation Greens, I could be wrong though.

Chris

Thanks I did add the ribbons, wings etc... I wasnt aware of the Greens not getting ribbons, hopefully we can confirm that bit. I did notice pin holes on the inside of the jacket so I assumed the were from a ribbon rack.

The rack isnt a perfect match it was put together from loose ribbons I had laying around.

Thanks again.

Ribbons were prescribed for aviation greens in WW2 and in the 1947 Uniform Regulations, but were deleted in 1951.

Great to see the greens added!

Very cool visor and jacket. This is nit picky but at least according to modern regulations the bottom ribbon row should be reversed. Philippine PUC, then Liberation Medal, then UN Korea medal. I used this Navy order of precedence but its matches others Ive seen. https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/uniforms/uniformregulations/Pages/AwardsOrderofPrecedence.aspx

Thank you, I made the suggested changes.

Ribbons were prescribed for aviation greens in WW2 and in the 1947 Uniform Regulations, but were deleted in 1951.

Great to see the greens added!

Thank you for the clarification, since I put them together I think I will leave them. They are not correct for the period but they do look nice and represent the Admirals rack.

thanks again

I think the ribbons look great on the jacket, don't forget to put his "Command at Sea" pin on the jacket.

Chris

Too funny, the regs are Greek to me, i wouldn't know where to put it. Maybe as pictured in post #9?

Regs:

b. Provisions for Wear. All eligible officers may wear the Command-at-Sea and Command Ashore/Project Manager insignia. Flag officers are only authorized to wear in the post-tour position described below. The miniature Command insignia is worn with all uniforms except Full Dress uniforms.

(2) Post Tour

(a) Optional simultaneous wear of Post-Tour Command at Sea and Command Ashore/Project Manager insignia is authorized when wearing Working Uniforms (NWUs, Navy Coveralls and Flight Suits), Service Uniforms and Service Dress Uniforms. When worn simultaneously, the Command at Sea Insignia will be placed inboard toward the center of the chest denoting primary placement. The Command Ashore/Project manager Insignia will be worn adjacent and to the wearer’s left of the Command at Sea Insignia, with one inch between the facing outer edges of both insignias. If you are also an incumbent, the post-tour Command Insignia of the same command category will not be worn.

(B)Center the insignia (one or both post tour insignias) on the left breast, 1/4 inch below the top of the pocket/flap. When wearing two qualification breast insignia (primary above the Service Tape and secondary below the Service Tape), center the Command Insignia 1/4 inch below the secondary insignia, or on uniforms with pocket flaps, 1/4 inch below the flap. When wearing Command Insignia and an identification badge, men center the badge 1/4 inch below the command Insignia, and women center the badge 1/4 inch above the left pocket, ribbons or primary insignia.