"Fourth But First" Fourth Fighter Interceptor Wing Unit Book

McDermut99

Picked this up earlier today. According to the forward, this "photograph book" was compiled during the months of July and August of 1952. It includes two pages of the group's aces, including Lt. Col. George A. Davis Jr. (KIA). The book is a wealth of photos and information regarding the entire wing. Air Force unit books aren't in my collecting wheelhouse but for the price I took a chance. If those who are far more knowledgeable could please chime in and enlighten me as what exactly I have it would be greatly appreciated!

post-153059-0-77024000-1488683073_thumb.jpg

This is a scarce and valuable book. For Korean War fan's of the air war it is one of the most sought after books out there.I would value the book as is at $150 - 225.00. You can look long and hard and will probably never see another one for sale. One exception. I have one with added Aces autographs on clipped papers that I will end up selling next year when moving. It is the prime book in my collection on the 4th. You have a beauty.

• 3 months later...

Any other "color emblems" shown in the book, Love those emblem images !!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing !!!!!!

Thanks for the comment Johnny! As a matter of fact, there are a couple more color emblems.

Fighting Eagle Squadron:

Posted Image

Here's an example of it painted on one of the jets and of it on a communications building sign:

Also not the name of the jet "Excalibre"

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A better picture of the "Chiefs" artwork and a couple examples of it on jets:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a scarce and valuable book. For Korean War fan's of the air war it is one of the most sought after books out there.I would value the book as is at $150 - 225.00. You can look long and hard and will probably never see another one for sale. One exception. I have one with added Aces autographs on clipped papers that I will end up selling next year when moving. It is the prime book in my collection on the 4th. You have a beauty.

Thank you very much for the information!

• 1 month later...

I think your first estimate was pretty spot on. I had this unit history within a group that I sold a few years back. I valued it at $200 when I sold it. It's a great history for a well known unit.

JD

• 3 months later...

I think your first estimate was pretty spot on. I had this unit history within a group that I sold a few years back. I valued it at $200 when I sold it. It's a great history for a well known unit.

JD

Thank you very much for the info JD! As luck would have it a couple months ago another 4th FIW unit book came up in a local auction. This one is from 1954 I believe and apparently I wasn't the only one who knew what it was. I had to fight off a number of other bidders but won it for around $250. It was a decent amount to say the least but I was willing to do so because I paid very little for the above book. I'll post some pictures of it later today.

Here are a couple photos of the most recent addition. It’s beat up but all the pages are intact. This book covers the wing from 1953-1954 at Kimpo Air Base.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This book about the 4th FG was also with the above book. It too has seen better days but these books have some value to them as well.

Posted Image