Some militaria in Tokyo ?

vintageproductions

Nakata is in Ueno. The majority of the items are copies.

You can try Sams Militarya in Ikebukuro

Some of the various stores in Koeinji

If you make it to Osaka the biggest militaria shop in Japan is there, MASH.

Take cash

Its not a fleamarket.

If you spend time in rural Japan things can still be found in the weekend flea markets. I spent about $40 on WWII gear at one down near Sasebo a few years ago.

It's been a long time since I was in Japan, but I believe on Saturdays there used to be local flea markets in some of the smaller, open spaces in the city. I found a lot of Japanese home front stuff in such places.

vintageproductions

Gil, most of those smaller flea markets / shrine sales are gone. One of the oldest, Yasakuni flea market, has just been recently closed for construction. This happened a few years ago to the Togo shrine, and it never re-opened as a flea market.

There are still the larger antique type flea markets around, outside Tokyo and Kyoto. But, just like flea markets here, you better be there early as the good stuff is gone before the sun comes up. I know two collectors that get to the bigger flea markets at 3am, before the dealers, and leave by 8am with all their loot. But like anywhere else, know what you are looking at as a lot of repro Japanese items are sold at these sales.

If you are looking for Japanese militaria, there is also a shop in Ueno, not far from Nakata, that is all original Japanese militaria and that is Miakawa's ( spelling). Great stuff in there, but can be pricey.

• 3 weeks later...
vintageproductions

If you are there during the time one of the Militaria shows is going on, it's definitely worth seeing.

• 4 weeks later...

hi

i know this guy mr Maekawa , i lived in Japan osaka for 26 years ,he had a shop near Amagasaki where i used to live

he has a lots of stuff but cannot sell because his price are so hight ,one day i went to see him for an advice about a meiji infantry officers cap i got the cap in a flea market ,he gave me the information and also ask me 5000 yen = 50 bucks for that service !!! i did not give him a cents SInce then i knew by japanese friends that this guy is not a good man , in japanese it means he has sympathy for the Uyoku

so if you go to Tokyo dont go to this place JIMBOUCHO Japanese Military Antiques Shop

Roger

vintageproductions

Maekawa had an amazing shop in Osaka. On the street level was his regular shop with all the gear in it. If he liked you, you may get to visit the second floor and see some of the rarer items. If he really liked you you got to see the private museum on the next floor. Every time I got on the third floor my chin would drop to the ground.

Maekawa is a bit eccentric but he was always a gentleman and was very good to us when we bought from him.

i went to the second and 3rd floor , he had lot's of beautiful pieces i ever seen ,and most of what he had was bought on yahoo japan auction ,you had to live in Japan and have a good level of japanese to be able to buy and sell