Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

craig_pickrall

The USA number on the hood shouldn't be confused with the vehicle's serial or production order number.

It was the number given to the vehicle by the Army and used to track and assign it. There is some correlation but it's not exact.

Tom Bowers

Is there anyway to find out what unit the jeep was assigned to based off the hood number? I know I wont be able to identify the soldier but was curious where this jeep was during the war. Thanks for the input guys

hbtcoveralls

Is there anyway to find out what unit the jeep was assigned to based off the hood number? I know I wont be able to identify the soldier but was curious where this jeep was during the war. Thanks for the input guys

No unless you could see the bumpers and see what the codes are there.

There is no known index anywhere that records what vehicles were assigned to which outfits.

Occasionally you will find paperwork with a US registration number but finding anything for the very jeep you're looking for is needle in a haystack territory.

Nice photo however

Tom Bowers

• 4 months later...
Gerradtgrant

I bought these from a garage sale. The were being mistreated and felt the need to save them. Thank goodness they were in frames. Helped preserve them. Seller knew nothing about them or how they got them. My best guess is Korean era. Anyway to get more of the story by the numbers on the Jeep? They are unfortunately not named. Any info provided would be greatly appreciated!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Gerradtgrant

What makes you think "Korean era"?

Just a guess! I honestly don't know. You have any ideas or clues you see that points to another era?

What makes you think "Korean era"?

Gerradtgrant

Tank Destroyer Force long gone by Korean War and SSI no longer worn except by WW2 vets. Must be WW2 photos.

Thank You! I mainly based my assessment off of never owning a color WWII photo. Every one I own is in a black and white tone. WWII makes me happy as that's all I collect at the moment.

Gerradtgrant

I feel dumb now! After going and reading up on the tank destroyers, I now remember reading that. I had it in my mind that they went through the Korean War and was clearly wrong. Thank you ATB for the refresher course I just took.

27th division? I note the camo painted Helmets

Hello,

My dad was a 27th infantryman on Saipan. I was not aware that they were known for camo paint on their helmets. I'd love any info you may have on this. Apologies for butting in on the jeep discussion.

Mikie

IIRC, the jeep, any jeep ( and other vehicles)were designed to go 90 miles, if more great. WWII was Total war and the War Dept. didnt care what the vehicle was, just that it ran and got the job done.Nice pic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
General Apathy

IIRC, the jeep, any jeep ( and other vehicles)were designed to go 90 miles, if more great. WWII was Total war and the War Dept. didnt care what the vehicle was, just that it ran and got the job done.Nice pic.

Hi USARV72, owned a Jeep over forty years but never heard the 90 miles comment before, always heard it as 90 days ( or three months ) in combat.

Thankfully my 1942 Jeep is still going 27,375 days later, miles I wouldn't like to guess. :lol:

cheers lewis.

Ok, guess heard miles instead of days, LOL. I'll admit it. Point was any and all vehicles were used.

Question, last week saw a Sherman, M-5, M-10 and a M-24 on flat beds going south on I-95 in Florida. Could have gone south or west on I-10. Looked like Coors vehicles?

Backtheattack

Could notice Red Cross, P63 so it could be Military Police, next group separated from this, couldn`t read it correct. At right I think it`s C-3. Not at all what the Army Regulation said, but readable.

Could notice Red Cross, P63 so it could be Military Police, next group separated from this, couldn`t read it correct. At right I think it`s C-3. Not at all what the Army Regulation said, but readable.

I think the next group is HQ-2. So, maybe its an MP Headquarters unit? Not at all what I am used to seeing with army markings. And maybe medics put a red cross on the bumper if the jeep was being used from another unit?

Cobrahistorian

Here's the 464th Fighter Squadron CO's jeep on Ie Shima in August 1945. I've got a shot of a slatty in Korea in 1951 as well, but I can't put my hands on it right now.

post-5470-0-50650100-1505063354.jpg

Found a better picture, it`s P 163.

attachicon.gifSaipan.jpg

The 163rd Military Police Co. was in the Pazific.

Awesome photograph! So medics probably put a red cross on the bumper if the jeep was being repurposed for medical use?

Here's the 464th Fighter Squadron CO's jeep on Ie Shima in August 1945. I've got a shot of a slatty in Korea in 1951 as well, but I can't put my hands on it right now.

Note the civvy tries, a common modification for jeeps starting right at the end of hostilities (and sometimes earlier for rear-echelon assigned ones).

From what I have read over the years is that, The Life Expectancy of any Army vehicle was 6 weeks. Not that they were built to last only that. War has it's dangers.....