Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

craig_pickrall

• 2 months later...

Recently I was given a group of photographs from a distant relative of some MP's stationed at the Japanese internment camp on O'ahu. None of these have images of my ancestor, as that line of the family kept those. These men are all unidentified except one. This first photo is of Ben Hessler, I don't know anything else about him. I find the jeep interesting as it only have blackout drive headlights.

post-131982-0-37731100-1416880164.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Last image. MP next to a jeep in what I think is a fruit plantation field. I've never seen tires like this before. Has anyone?

Don't know about the tires but he's in a sugar cane field.

• 4 weeks later...
A friend of mine found some photos of his father in WWII. He mentioned what island, but I didn't write it down and forgot. First photo is of his father in a Jeep on some island in the Pacific. The windshield is marked "BOMB DISPOSAL" with what looks like a flaming bomb insignia on the driver's side. Not sure. Also, I thought it was interesting that where the registration number usually is it says "TAXIWAY" with something above that. I can't tell if it is the registration number. I think I can see "USA" to the right above "....WAY" He indicated that his dad was in underwater demolition and was one of the first Frogman. He would go onto the landing beaches before an invasion to "dispose" of potential problems in the surf/beach. Not sure about that either. Here is the Jeep photo:
Gerry_Cupp_Dad_01.JPG
"Found on beach" This one is interesting. I believe this is a SBD Dauntless parked on the beach...going back to my modeling days. Looks like a Dodge Carryall behind the plane. My friend thought this was his dad in the photo...I didn't. He called today and told me he found another photo of the plane with his dad in the photo...I asked if one could see the Carryall better. Just a tad he said. This is not his dad:
Gerry_Cupp_Dad_02.JPG
His father is third from the left in this graduation photo. Hmmm...not many graduates. I wonder how many they started with? Neat photo:
Gerry_Cupp_Dad_03.JPG
Interested in comments if anyone has some insights into the photos.

Zeph

Great photos Zeph!

I played around with the contrast on the jeep photo and I am 99% sure it says "Bomb Disposal" on the hood above "Taxiway". The blackout light obscures part of the 'bom' but I'm certain that is what it says.

RC

Great photos Zeph!

I played around with the contrast on the jeep photo and I am 99% sure it says "Bomb Disposal" on the hood above "Taxiway". The blackout light obscures part of the 'bom' but I'm certain that is what it says.

RC

Hi RC,

You're correct. I was looking at the "OSA" in DISPOSAL on the hood ans was thinking USA. I didn't key in on the last letter L on the hood. I haven't noticed a lot of in theater Jeeps without registration numbers on the hood. Of course, I haven't been looking either, so maybe it is more common than I was thought.

Good eye!

Z

Try looking under the windshield. It clearly reads "DISPOSAL". Danny

Yes, that is why I said in the first paragraph, third sentence, that it said "BOMB DISPOSAL" on the windshield frame. I just couldn't read what it said on the hood above TAXIWAY, but now I can see that it says BOMB DISPOSAL on the hood as well. Just thought it was odd that it didn't have the normal hood registration number(s) on the hood. That is all...

• 8 months later...

1256th Combat Engineer Bn Photo - WWII Jeep named 'Patty' above wheel wells.

Mods: Please feel free to move if I should not have posted this here. I know it's "wanted" but it's for a particular picture.

I know that this is a long shot....

Last night I was poking on eBay and came upon a listing for a group of about 20 pictures identified to one individual. The auction was closing in 2 hours and there were no bids and a low start price of $2 so I threw in a "what the heck bid." As it turns out there were another 7 listings for pictures that all appeared to have originated as one group. Since they all belonged together I raised my bid and bid on all 8 lots. In the end I won 7 of the listings, which totaled about 60+ pictures, and lost out on one that consisted of 2 pictures.

I wanted to post it on here on the outside shot that someone may have won it and be willing to sell it to me to put the grouping back together.

Here is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301-WWII-1256th-Combat-Engineer-Bn-Photo-Jeep-Lot-Nose-Art-PATTY-/311431842061?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xCQvHX5fFOWC9ZUYG1ISYgNex%252Bw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

post-154043-0-17833300-1440936253.jpg

post-154043-0-13329700-1440936254.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I found this while looking around some LIFE archives. Just goes to show ya that Slat Grill's were still used later in the war. Dated June of 44.

post-163492-0-30798400-1484354113_thumb.jpg

27th division? I note the camo painted Helmets

Not sure. The bumper markings aren't familiar. They sort of don't look like army markings. But you're right about the camo helmets. At first I thought they were USMC covers.

• 1 month later...

Picked this up at a store in the middle of nowhere, now I am not at all used to researching vehicle numbers or identifying them, so if I am wrong take it with a grain of salt. I believe this is a 1942 GPW 20-42414 by the production numbers.

post-162540-0-55852800-1488653892_thumb.jpg

hbtcoveralls

The USA number on the hood shouldn't be confused with the vehicle's serial or production order number.

It was the number given to the vehicle by the Army and used to track and assign it. There is some correlation but it's not exact.

I can tell by the details in the photo that the Jeep illustrated is a very early production Willys MB.

It would have been in the serial number range between MB1000001 and MB

125809 (willys numbers were very strange to say the least)

Here are some of the details that confirm that this is a "Slatgrill MB"

1 Solid disk wheels not combat wheels

2 squared off fuel tank sump

3 Short windshield

4 lack of a "torque reaction spring" on the driver's side

5 early steering wheel

6 the just barely visible slat or strip grill which is different from all the Jeeps that came later

So what you have is an early production 1942 "Slatgrill" MB

Tom Bowers

I agree, it is a Willys slatgrill MB and most likely made in the 2nd week of January 1942. The windshield is the standard height though, but it lacks the brackets for the rifle rack as is correct for jeeps made in this period.