Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

craig_pickrall

• 1 year later...
General Apathy
11 hours ago, 12thengr said:

Early slat-grilled jeep. Eliot Elisofon photo for Life magazine.

274710178_437262154860049_8858065371044907185_n (2).jpg

Hi 12th.

Heres another shot from the same sequence, I believe the storyline was that the Jeep had driven into one of the shell-holes caused by a Japanese submarine shelling the oil storage fields on the California coast.

On the rear side panel of the Jeep is a very rare early style antenna bracket, one of my local friends still has one on his early slat grille Jeep, the only example I have ever seen, couldn't locate the close up I have of it to post here.

.fullsizeoutput_115a5.jpeg.bed79ff5af07147baa19ec5dd20fd1ac.jpeg

regards lewis

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi 12th.

Heres another shot from the same sequence, I believe the storyline was that the Jeep had driven into one of the shell-holes caused by a Japanese submarine shelling the oil storage fields on the California coast.

On the rear side panel of the Jeep is a very rare early style antenna bracket, one of my local friends still has one on his early slat grille Jeep, the only example I have ever seen, couldn't locate the close up I have of it to post here.

regards lewis

Those pics would be a good subject for some Then & Now shots.  I'll put it on my list of things to waste some of my few remaining brain cells on. 

Mikie 

11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi 12th.

regards lewis;  Quite right, Feb. 1942 shelling of the Ellwood oil terminal by Japanese submarine I-17.

• 2 months later...
easterneagle87

Couple of jeep photos I got from a friend.

First, STUD HOSS

Jeep stud boss.jpg

Second, I believe this is a post ww2 surplus jeep as it has a California license plate on the front. 

Jeep Surplus.jpg

• 1 year later...

Found this pic and wanted to add it. Nothing fancy, but what is unique about it is the unit this Jeep is assigned to - the 741st Railway Operating Battalion.   

This pic is captioned on the back as having been taken at the Tomb of Abraham Lincoln in Springfield, IL on July 15th, 1944. So that gives it a nice time reference. The 741st did end up in the European Theater in France and other places. 

zzJeep2.jpg

zzRailwayBnJeep .jpg

RustyCanteen
On 5/23/2022 at 2:24 AM, easterneagle87 said:

Couple of jeep photos I got from a friend.

F

Second, I believe this is a post ww2 surplus jeep as it has a California license plate on the front. 

Jeep Surplus.jpg

That is a very neat photo. It actually shows an early civilian Willys CJ-2a, which is uncommon. The windshield frame has two square reinforcements (special washers to reinforce studs that were used to stow part of the top bow frame). This is a pretty early one, not the earliest, but probably late 1945-April 1946. The adjustment arms for the inner frame are still the MB type, and not the later CJ 'lollipop' ones. It still has the full floating rear axle - same used on the wartime MB's except for a different gear ratio on the ring and pinion. Probably a column shift Jeep too. I like the brush guard on the grill. This is so early, it may well have a few left over WWII MB or GPW parts on it!

RC

• 4 weeks later...
General Apathy

Todays Then & Now . . . . . . . . .

This shot today was extremely difficult to try and set up, we had to keep moving the Jeeps to let normal road traffic pass by,  which prevented us from trying to position the Jeeps more closely to the original photograph, in the end it was take it or miss it.

Beuzeville-la-Bastille

fullsizeoutput_21bbe.jpeg.f31019b76b811ec95fce5173d35174f6.jpeg

IMG_7636.JPG.d9af43d753836e705386987372fbe1b8.JPG

regards lewis.

General Apathy
42 minutes ago, earlymb said:

Is that a bird's nest in front of the radiator? 😊

Hi earlymb.

It's the remains of what I carry in my wallet these days . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Hahaaaa, it's the detritus picked up off-roading across a corn field . . . . . . . . . 

regards lewis.

General Apathy

1941 Willys MA during early war manoeuvres in the USA . . . . . . . .  ( hopefully not shown previously )

fullsizeoutput_21cb4.jpeg.2cd84e2efc4861111f295dda533c03bd.jpeg

regards lewis. 

On 3/11/2024 at 3:40 AM, earlymb said:

Is that a bird's nest in front of the radiator? 😊

🤣