Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

craig_pickrall

kyhistorian01

Here are two snapshots I found together at a flea markest some years ago. One is a good one of troops loading and the other shows a jeep with supplies being loaded.

Robert

post-6492-1263693255.jpg

post-6492-1263693312.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I know I just sit here and keep saying if I could have had only one!!!!! :crying: So these seem to answer the question if so many were made where are they all????

Brandon

I bought a 1942 MB in the late 70's for $600.00 and spent a ton on parts. My nephew has it now, he has more time on his hands to cleen it up and get it running. I had my fun with it now it is his turn. It was a joy to drive but a very rough ride. Y

General Apathy

post-344-1265831388.jpg

Wow!! The top picture shows two GPA hulls...today a restored GPA will top $80.000.00

1A291E

Wow, you can't count there are three GPA hulls in that photo, the two on the right and the one far left behind the wrecked Dodge. :lol::lol:;)

Hi just fooling with you, your right they are a rarity. :thumbsup: perhaps the attached photo will cheer you up. :think:

Cheers Lewis

I came upon this article in the July 21, 1944, Alaska Edition of "Yank" magazine and thought it might be of interest to the many"Jeep-heads" out there in Forum-Land! I'm not sure how clearly the text will copy digitally, but the gist of the article is that GIs in the Aleutians are resorting to their ingenuity to "winterize" their jeeps. The materials used range from plywood and lumber to something called "Masonite" and old tarpaulins. Side and rear windows are improvised from glass panes salvaged from other vehicles and Quonset huts. Also cellophane from gas-mask wrappings and old Japanese X-ray film has been used. Classic examples of improvisation in the field just to make life a little more comfortable in the harsh Aleutian climate.

post-8022-1266405963.jpg

Sabrejet

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. I am sure there was LOTS of improvisation in the war....Kat

Thanks for your response Kat...oh, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

Ian :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

great photos! I guess when you needed the zzzz's, you grabbed them anywhere, anytime you could. Makes me yawn just looking at them.

Terry

I learned a long time ago in the service that if you don't have to stand then, sit. If you can sit and lay down then lay down, if you can lay down then go to sleep. Sleep when ever you can because you don't know when the mission will let you sleep again.

Misanthropic_Gods

Here are a couple of more recent ones that are in my files!

This guy looks really bushed, and I bet he is snoring like a bear!

third_platoon_charlie_company_185.jpg

The hoods of vehicles seem to be a favorite spot

wallz13060_Long_and_039.jpg

Here are a couple of more recent ones that are in my files!

This guy looks really bushed, and I bet he is snoring like a bear!

third_platoon_charlie_company_185.jpg

The hoods of vehicles seem to be a favorite spot

wallz13060_Long_and_039.jpg

Those are great... :w00t:

must be WWII Grunts...grunts can sleep anywhere, and use anything as a pillow... I once used a kevlar, but my favorite is a full camelbak...like a water pillow!

must be WWII Grunts...grunts can sleep anywhere, and use anything as a pillow... I once used a kevlar, but my favorite is a full camelbak...like a water pillow!

A camelback used to be my favorite pillow until one busted on me when I was sleeping on it in Kuwait and I had a very cold night. After that I stuck to my K-pot and and my folded up DCU top.