Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

craig_pickrall

Hi Arturo,

Very interesting photos!

The photos had been taken off at different moments of the day. They notice the shade of a house and chimney in different positions in two images.

The image with the dead GI the sun the this highest one (+/- 13:00 - 14:00PM) and later in the other the sun the this lowest one (+/- 15:00 - 16:00PM).

PS. Please, open one new topic in Militaria Brasil Forum. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

• 5 months later...

Good morning,

What are those things that look like fender skirts on this Jeep? Just curious. I have never noticed them before in other Jeep pictures.

Thank you.

post-70-1188747754.jpg

Unit or even crew-made modifications; not regular issue or standardised design. These things are commonly known as 'field modifications'.

Greetz ;)

David

• 1 year later...

Hi Steve,

It's a 1941 Ford GP.

The high windscreen, position of the oblong speedo, position of the side gabhanndles at the rear, single (original) canvas hoop and one piece wheels all help to point to this.

Nice Photo!

Hope this helps

Prof

• 1 month later...

I grabbed these photos a few years ago. This guy looks to me to be wearing an airborne jump suit but not sure he is actually a paratrooper. Some interesting photos of him goofing off on what he calls Patton's jeep.

post-1519-1225418450.jpg

post-1519-1225418468.jpg

post-1519-1225418490.jpg

I grabbed these photos a few years ago. This guy looks to me to be wearing an airborne jump suit but not sure he is actually a paratrooper. Some interesting photos of him goofing off on what he calls Patton's jeep.

The writing on the back of one of the photos says that this is Patton's jeep, but it is hard to imagine this guy would be screwing around on it like that.

A few more. In the last photo, clearly they have captured a German spy-puppy.

post-1519-1225418606.jpg

post-1519-1225418617.jpg

Haha, neat photos! :D However, I don't think it's Pattons jeep. If you look at photos with Patton riding in a jeep the serial numbers don't match. Love the photos though.

- Jeff

Awesome photos!!!!! Usually Pattons jeeps had extra armor in the pics Ive seen, but who knows maybe he had an ordinary one too!!!!......mike

With the amount of goofing around this guy is doing, I kind of figured he was maybe a newspaper/reporter type who wandered into Patton's headquarters and started fooling around. He is likely to fat to be a real paratrooper, and I can't imagine that this type of behavior would have been accepted by any officer in the area from an enlisted man (I dont even see any rank insignia). My feeling was that he "upgraded" this jeep he was fooling around in from one he encountered at Patton's headquarters to calling it Patton's actual jeep.

I wonder if the puppy was Patton's as well?

Patrick

• 1 month later...

thought I would share this unit marked jeep. The 9th Div emb and one I havent seen yet, a wagon wheel with a horse head. Anyway thought I would share and see what you all thought.

Mike

post-1387-1228606303.jpg

thought I would share this unit marked jeep. The 9th Div emb and one I havent seen yet, a wagon wheel with a horse head. Anyway thought I would share and see what you all thought.

Mike

It is the Distinctive Unit insignia for the 9th Reconnaisance Company.

• 5 weeks later...
General Apathy
Poor things. Any idea where or when this was taken?

Hi, there's this one and a few more photos similar to this on the LIFE photo website, I believe it states Korea.

Cheers ( Lewis )

pathfinder505
Hi, there's this one and a few more photos similar to this on the LIFE photo website, I believe it states Korea.

Cheers ( Lewis )

I would bet they arent there now.

General Apathy
I would bet they arent there now.

Hi Pathfinder, you should have seen the stuff that was laying in the fields and scrapyards in France back in the mid 70's, I will try and dig a few photo's out for tomorrow.

But I can tell you, these have all gone.

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1231343500.jpg

Hi Everyone, as mentioned in the other post above, here is some of the roadside scrap that was laying in many fields through France. Partly the reasons being, the Jeep vehicles the farmers were scavenging the parts and keeping their own Jeeps going, the heavy tank stuff was too expensive to cut up or tow away.

Myself and a group of Jeep friends once found laying in a pig pond a couple of Jeeps, one of which was not desirable at that period but now it's gold if it was still there. It was not only four wheel drive it was Four Wheel Steer

The photo in this post and the following post were taken in the mid 1970's

I will see what other ones I have to show tomorrow.

Cheers ( Lewis )