Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

craig_pickrall

Nice photos!

Given the addition of the padded passenger seat in the first photo, and the extension on the top of the windshield; I would suggest that it was for a unit commander to ride in.

RC

Cobrahistorian

Seems the first two photos are of different Jeeps. Neat to see the different modifications on these.

Probably at different times during its modification. Both pics have the same hood numbers.

I would argue that the first photos are of a GPW, that does not look like a tubular cross member.

It is interesting how the Willys name has changed, I think Bill Mauldin's Willy and Joe had something to do with the pronunciation changing from Willis to Willy's, not only should there be no apostrophe, but it should not even sound like it could have one.

Those mods were fairly common. My dad was a AAF pilot assigned to a base in Naples from 45-47. He made these modifications to his jeep so my (future) mom wouldn't get dust and dirt on her. Also, it helped to keep thieves at bay.

attachicon.gifNaplesJeep1.jpg

WOW, that's cool man, was it made out of wood or metal, or both? or do you know? It really is cool, I like that top, never seen another like it anywhere. That roof line is definitely different, and really looks great.

• 9 months later...
patchman1262

Here are some photos of the 1262nd Engineer Combat Battalion that my grandfather was assigned to in ETO. Unit was formed at Camp Shelby,MS in Feb. 1944. Shipped out to ETO in November and got to Belgium at the end of the Battle of the Bulge ending the war with Patton's 3rd Army. Always looking for anything regarding the 1262 ECB.

This photo is of my grandfather and another 1262nd member.

post-153825-0-44261700-1407733123.jpg

patchman1262

Here are more photos.

The first one is Gen. Patton reviewing the battalion. Photos 2 & 3 are of Co.B commander Capt. Howard McClellan.

post-153825-0-40580700-1407809090.jpg

post-153825-0-79197500-1407809112.jpg

post-153825-0-28075200-1407809293.jpg

patchman1262

More photos.

Pic 1-Building POW camp Erlangen Germany(note wire cutter on front of Jeep)

Pic 2-Building POW camp Erlangen Germany(My grandfather is the 2nd from the left)

Pic 3-Convoy heading to Germany

post-153825-0-14683000-1407809546.jpg

post-153825-0-75107100-1407809554.jpg

post-153825-0-65978000-1407809568.jpg

patchman1262

More photos.

pic 1---My grandfather next to knocked out Panther tank after the Battle of the Bulge

pic 2---Capt. McClellan and kids in Winnweiller Germany

pic 3---Nazi stadium Germany

Thanks for looking.

post-153825-0-34561400-1408216342.jpg

post-153825-0-17229100-1408216359.jpg

post-153825-0-24062300-1408216370.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Note the markings on the bumper of the jeep:

3A 1262E

Does "3A" refer to 3rd Army? I was thinking the Army designation would be listed after the unit.

Hello Sir,

You are right,It is well 3rd army,this engineer unit depended directly of the 3rd army .

Have a nice day .

Ajephisan

patchman1262

Thanks for the reply. It indeed the 3rd Army. Most engineer units were independent and attached to other units as needed. From unit reports I have, while enroute to Belgium, the unit had multiple order changes as to location and parent units to be attached to. His unit ended up in the 3rd Army hence the 3A.

Ajephisan,

Yes they did go from France through Belgium then to Germany. I will have to review the unit reports to see what cities they were in and post later. Thank you.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

I was surfing the internet looking for research material for a model project and stumbled upon these photos of crated jeeps and an Army assembly line. If you are old enough, then you probably remember back in the 60s hearing about the mythical war surplus army jeeps and motorcycles still in the crate for sale at stupidly low prices.

I remember hearing about those jeeps and everyone that ever told me about those jeeps always swore that they knew the brother of a friend's uncle who used to live next door who bought one. Well, I never saw one and I never knew anyone who actually had one. I always figured it was just so much BS. Did any of you guys ever actually see one of these new jeeps in a crate?

Anyway, I thought this was a pretty cool photo. I don't know if any of these ever got sold as surplus, I guess some did but I thought this was a pretty smart way to ship jeeps around the world. Yankee ingenuity at it's best, a 1:1 scale jeep kit.

I think this might be the subject of my next Jeep model. These crated jeeps and the GI assembly line would really be a good subject for a big diorama.

Well I thought the photos were pretty neat.

Dennis

post-2843-0-72905800-1411072627.jpg

doinworkinvans

There is a guy here in NC who still has several of these, well at least he did 3-4 years ago. He also had a stack of Jeep frames as high as a warehouse. It was a family business that started in 1946 buying surplus and reselling. He has liquidated much of it as he is very old now, and sadly when scrap prices were so high alot of it went to that. But he had at least 5 huge warehouse full of parts, most still in boxes and crates still covered in cosmaline. For all types of war vehicles, Ford, Jeep , Dodge big and small. So I have seen one of the crated jeeps in person and its quite unbelievable!

There is a guy here in NC who still has several of these, well at least he did 3-4 years ago. He also had a stack of Jeep frames as high as a warehouse. It was a family business that started in 1946 buying surplus and reselling. He has liquidated much of it as he is very old now, and sadly when scrap prices were so high alot of it went to that. But he had at least 5 huge warehouse full of parts, most still in boxes and crates still covered in cosmaline. For all types of war vehicles, Ford, Jeep , Dodge big and small. So I have seen one of the crated jeeps in person and its quite unbelievable!

Was the crated jeep $50 by chance? LOL ;)