Show your original WW2 photos of 'jeeps'

craig_pickrall

Hi fellas,

This photo was taken on a PT Base in New Guinea.The bloke sitting in it was the Motor Mac who worked on her.

My question is does anyone know what the Letters and numbers designate,ive been told that it is an MP jeep. :think:

Thanks Mick

post-69117-1330329266.jpg

"Policia Militar" (Brazil) "Police Militaire" (French) ? :think:

I had a look at the photo with my Loupe,the letters are

PM 717

S 53

There is also some letters or numbers under the windshield but i cant make them out.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

For the jeep lovers,who might have missed this photo in another thread,

Army Rodeos were staged by Lt. Dick Ryan throughout the South Pacific. Many Rodeos were held for the entertainment of servicemen stationed in overseas bases--including Brisbane, Sydney, Grafton and Townsville, in Australia...Port Moresby, New Guinea; Hollandia, Dutch Indies and Manila...and a final victorious show in Tokyo on Armistice Day in 1945. Dick Ryan a Lieutenant in the United States Cavalry had an interesting and varied career. He was a circus rider, rodeo performer, Hollywood stunt man, motion picture double and finally the owner and producer of his own world famous rodeo and stunt show.

Here is a photo of Lt. Dick Ryan,jumping a jeep over another here in Brisbane.

post-69117-1334645058.jpg

• 1 month later...
2/14 Marine

Especially since thre is almost no padding in those set cushions.

must have been a teeth-rattling landing!

thanks for sharing such an unusual photo :thumbsup:

Terry

• 2 months later...

I think this picture may have been taken in the Phillipines late in the war or just after ending. Note USS Toledo on side of door. Perhaps commanders staff car for on-shore duties?post-70300-1345148011.jpg

That's way postwar. Willys didn't start making that model until '46, if memory serves. I think the woody version wasn't offered right away but I could be wrong about that.

I know the man that I got the negatives from was stationed in the Phillipines around 45/46 or so; exact dates, I don't know, nor did the family..they didn't really seem to care. Neat little vehicle no matter what.

• 2 months later...

Hi'

Here's a picture found by my father in our archive.

It seems to be a photo taken by my great grandfather of his stepfather, stepmother and daughter and two U.S. soldiers. In the town of Chaudfontaine (Belgium) probably at the end 44 (October - November).

The Jeep is from the Advance Section Communication Zone 103rd Tranportation Company (or Truck Company)

Cheers,

Benoit.

WW2_Chaudfontaine.jpg

• 7 months later...
craig johnson

That pretty much means he was a Chevy Guy right. Even if they were good vehicles a Chevy guy wouldnt admit it...Thanks for posting

That pretty much means he was a Chevy Guy right. Even if they were good vehicles a Chevy guy wouldnt admit it...Thanks for posting

LOL You're right!From way back even then.My uncle was lead mechanic at the local Chevy/Cadillac dealer and grandad had GMC and Chevy trucks in his business and drove Buick automobiles.

• 3 months later...

Cool looking Willys.Wonder what it was used for? To bad we can't see the other corner of the number for it's unit.Looks like a Jeepney from the PI.

jeepney.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Those mods were fairly common. My dad was a AAF pilot assigned to a base in Naples from 45-47. He made these modifications to his jeep so my (future) mom wouldn't get dust and dirt on her. Also, it helped to keep thieves at bay.

post-116019-0-61111700-1381804598.jpg