A Guns-a-Go-Go patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Happy Saturday all,
I wanted to share this piece that I recently acquired.It's from the Vietnam War era and is Japanese made.

post-13386-0-70767100-1488647876_thumb.jpg

Just a comment on 1st Cav patches with various inscriptions on them. I was in the Cav 66-67. I never saw any patch in any unit other then the issue 1st cav patch. Standard Yellow/Black which I was issued in April 66, then we were told to dye those to a subdued color, and towards the end of my tour in April 67 issue OD Patches were arriving. Now maybe Later some folks did take a patch to a local taylor shop for some improvements, maybe. The Cav was damn strict on what you could wear or not wear when I was a member and we did not have a lot of time to redesign the original patch. Now, Units did of course have their own patches made, and every one I saw was made in Vietnam and varied from pretty good to crap! The ACH-47s were Opconed to my Unit, 2/20th ARA but operated from the 228th AHC BN as a Det of 4 aircraft. I was around those folks at various times and do not recall any patch other then the stock Cav patch on their shoulders. Perhaps things were slack in 68 and on but I doubt it as again the Cav Patch was VERY respected.

Patchcollector

Just a comment on 1st Cav patches with various inscriptions on them. I was in the Cav 66-67. I never saw any patch in any unit other then the issue 1st cav patch. Standard Yellow/Black which I was issued in April 66, then we were told to dye those to a subdued color, and towards the end of my tour in April 67 issue OD Patches were arriving. Now maybe Later some folks did take a patch to a local taylor shop for some improvements, maybe. The Cav was damn strict on what you could wear or not wear when I was a member and we did not have a lot of time to redesign the original patch. Now, Units did of course have their own patches made, and every one I saw was made in Vietnam and varied from pretty good to crap! The ACH-47s were Opconed to my Unit, 2/20th ARA but operated from the 228th AHC BN as a Det of 4 aircraft. I was around those folks at various times and do not recall any patch other then the stock Cav patch on their shoulders. Perhaps things were slack in 68 and on but I doubt it as again the Cav Patch was VERY respected.

Thanks for your perspective.It's always great to hear from Vets that had associations with the units.Without photographic evidence,it's tough to say for sure whether it was worn or not.It could be a flightsuit patch,or it could be a novelty type piece they had made up to wear off duty,like the Special Forces RT units did.

I do have some unit patches that were used and have had Vets state that they never saw them.I was in the Air Force and have seen patches from units I was associated with that I never saw while I was in,so I know that no one Vet has seen it all,even from units they were with,and around.

Patchcollector

Guns A Go Go videos.

Thanks for the links and info!I was going to post some photos and stuff but got sidetracked.I'm still gathering some photos and stuff I found and will try to post it ASAP.

Patchcollector

Here's one of what appears to be one of those Cav novelty patches in use, date unknown sub unit unknown, but I'm betting late war period, like 69-71.

post-34986-0-58447400-1486265950.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/77202-patches-in-action-photos-of-ssi-being-worn-by-the-troops/page-99

Thanks Patches for that great photo.I was looking around online and found some patches like mine on the L-J Militaria site.

I just had a thought;if these patches were'nt made to be worn,then why make them subdued? :blink:

vintageproductions

The subdued Japanese made 1st Cav patches with the wording across the bend were made by Harry MacAllister and sold to collectors.

Maybe it is just my old tired eyes or maybe my screen but this patch has an ACU look to more so than subdued (subdued being either OG or OD)

So the one shown in the photo Patches posted was made for collectors?

Not nice to dis your fellow "patch peeps." Especially the one guy who probably is the most knowledgeable person on the subject of VN era patches.

ps - the patch shown in the photo is not "subdued"

Patchcollector

Maybe it is just my old tired eyes or maybe my screen but this patch has an ACU look to more so than subdued (subdued being either OG or OD)

It is green with a slight tinge of blue in it.For some reason my scanner struggled to match the true color exactly.And yes,it is subdued,if subdued means green and black.

Patchcollector

So the one shown in the photo Patches posted was made for collectors?

The reason I ask this question is because I was reading a prior thread about some color 1st Cavalry patches and Mr. McAllister is mentioned.

Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/168866-question-on-these-1st-cav-patches-japanese-made/

In that thread the color 1st Cavs are discussed and it is stated "I thought this series was made by Harry MacAllister back in the 60's and sold to collectors",and "Harry McAllister could have had them made, or even John McCann,and "I know that some of the 1st Cavs were on the list but not all of these shown here."

I did some web research about Mr. McAllister and discovered that he was one of the most prolific collectors of his era.While in SEA he appears to have also been a major player in the patch business.Some of his offerings were reportedly made by Ace Novelty,among others.

It looks like his business was centered around Japan.Japan was a frequent stop for soldiers on R & R during the war.My questions are:Were any of Mr.McAllisters' wares also bought by soldiers,like the "Cheap Charlie" situation in which soldiers and collectors both bought patches?

Also,are any of his patch lists available for viewing?I would like to see them if possible to see exactly which patches he was offering.

It is green with a slight tinge of blue in it.For some reason my scanner struggled to match the true color exactly.And yes,it is subdued,if subdued means green and black.

Thanks, that is why I ask.

vintageproductions

Harry's business was mostly in Japan and Thailand.

The vast majority of a the Thai made tabs with units on them were made by Harry there. He picked up the telephone book for SEA and took it to the local tailor shop and had them made for most of the units that were shown in this phone book.

Everything Harry made was for collectors, not for units. Does this take away anything from them? I don't think so, but you just have to keep it in your mind that they were not made for units.

Here is what the Guns-A-G0-Go pocket patch looks like. This is the US made variant that was said to have been made for ball cap wear.

gogo.JPG

vintageproductions

Also, on the subject of the 1st Cav patches with the words down the bend.

I would guess that 99.99% of them were made for the patch collecting market, but made during the war ( at least the vintage ones).

Here is the only one I have ever owned that was on a hat or shirt.

boonie_edited-1.jpg

Note that it wasn't for a unit but more for the soldier's last name.

1SG_1st_Cav

By late 1967, Guns-A-GO-GO were all grounded and phase out. Huey Hogs were slowly being replaced by Cobras at the beginning of 1968.

Buy a copy of "Empty Tubes and Back Seat Memories" written by my good friend Russ Warriner who was in 2-20th ARA for a long time.

His book was published in 2010. Great reading!

• 7 months later...
Patchcollector

Harry MacAllister and others produced patches in Japan during the Vietnam War era.Many Troops went to Japan during the War on R & R and some bought them while there,so I do not believe that they were all made for collectors.No doubt some Troops also picked them up for souvenirs,and some ended up being worn.(see photo in post # 9)
Here is a screenshot I took from the VHPA.org site illustrating one such subdued variation.Notice in the text provided the author stated that many configurations of the 1st CAV novelty patches were made.This is proof that during the War some Troops bought subdued 1st CAV patches with text on them.

Link to VHPA.org site:

http://museum.vhpa.org/uniforms/patches/patches.shtml

post-13386-0-15747100-1509559870.jpg

I've never really been a fan of the type of 1st Cav SSi shown. The lone picture taken in the field is one thing Garrison is a completely different animal. Honestly I've just not seen them worn outside of this one image. I cant recall seeing them throughout the 70s or 80s.

Here's my Guns-A-Go-Go PP I sold to LJM when I cleared my collection.

post-2582-0-50194000-1510109388_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

I've never really been a fan of the type of 1st Cav SSi shown. The lone picture taken in the field is one thing Garrison is a completely different animal. Honestly I've just not seen them worn outside of this one image. I cant recall seeing them throughout the 70s or 80s.

Here's my Guns-A-Go-Go PP I sold to LJM when I cleared my collection.

Do you have a back view of this patch that you could please post?Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a back view of this patch that you could please post?Thanks.

Sorry for the late response. Work has been maddening closing in on year end.

Here is the back.

post-2582-0-48047100-1511277446.jpg

In-country wear of the pocket patch.

post-2582-0-42491000-1511278273.jpg

Patchcollector

Thanks snake36bravo for posting the back view.I've seen that great photo before,online.Is that you in the photo wearing the patch in Nam?

This is my collection of the 53rd Aviation Detachment (ACTIV) (4/66) and the 1st Aviation Detachment (12/66) "GUNS-A-GO GO"

The first patch used by the unit was the 53rd patch which was deployed to VN to commence 180 days of combat testing under ACTIV. I believe another member of this forum has a variation of this patch with red lettering in the design.

The 17th Construction Squadron was an Australian unit temporarily attached for Airfield construction, although the unit member who was the source of this patch Major Horton indicated this was a novelty patch worn by members of the 1st Aviation Detachment in 1967.

The Vietnamese made patches did not hold up so the original 1st Aviation Detachment (Provisional) which was attached to 228th ASHC, 1st Cav. were made in the US ordered by a senior officers family member around 12/66. This is the second patch design.

The 3rd patch design was also US made and was sans the designation, this patch can be seen worn by several members on the website, It is smaller in size and will overlay the center of the second design patch.

Also pictured is a hand embroidered pocket hanger of the 3rd design with Guns a go go added. this patch was worn by a friend of my fathers a Crew Chief/Flight Engineer with the Go Gos in the 67/68 time frame, he also provided the picture of Aircraft #64-13154 "Birth Control" He stood the unit down and was sent to the 213th ASHC Black Cats.

A beer can for the unit is also pictured.

The last patch I have no information on but if I was pressed for an opinion I feel it is a postwar Asian copy, I would have to see a solid provenance to accept this as an original variation. This is the black letter 1st Avn. Design.

As of the last note I have never seen an original 1st Cav SSI with any designation for this unit I consider original.

Hope this helps your collecting fellas!

Jeff Williams

post-11806-0-68076300-1511539987_thumb.jpg