Carrying the White Flag of Surrender at Corregidor

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

Major General Pugh was The G2 of I Corps and General Jonathan Wainwright's aide at Corregidor before the fall of the Philippines in WWII. When the call was made, then Lt. Col. Pugh carried the white flag of surrender to the Japanese, and worked with Gen. Wainwright on the infamous speech of surrender to US troops over the radio. He was ordered to leave the Island, but refused to leave the General's side, thereby spending three years as a Prisoner of War. After the war, he served in a variety of airborne related assignments, culminating in command of the 3rd Armored Division from 1962-64, and VI Corps from 1964-66. Note that this is the EXACT uniform that Gen. Pugh is wearing in his portrait photo. I also obtained his dress white and khaki uniforms with identical insignia.

DSCN0041-1 copy.jpg

DSCN0042-1 copy.jpg

Amazing! I have never seen an embroidered GS ID badge before. Thanks a lot for posting,

Justin B.

CNY Militaria

Most amazing indeed. Both the jacket and MG Pugh. I have never seen a better Class A Dress Green jacket.

Dan, I agree. I have owned a lot of dress green uniforms, but this one is at the top as far as presentation. If only they all had this quality of insignia!

Justin

Even without the incredible history associated with the uniform, the detail and quality of the embroidery is amazing. Looking forward to pics of the white and the khaki uniforms if you could post them.

Here are a couple of photos of the general, including one reviewing troops in Germany with President Kennedy in June 1963 as commander of the 3rd Armored Division

. I'm always amazed at these soldiers who endured so much as POW's yet remained on active duty for years after their release.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jrpugh.htm

Question: His Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon has a silver and bronze star indicating participation in six campaigns. Yet the only campaign star authorized for his time before capture was for "Philippines Islands" (7 December 1941 - 10 May 1942). Under what criteria did POW's continue to earn campaign stars while in captivity? Was it for being present in the geographical area covered by subsequent campaigns?

Also, I'm curious how he would have earned the American Campaign ribbon.

post-1761-0-21317600-1488806297.jpg

post-1761-0-23058000-1488806513.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Kaigun Shosa

Question: His Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon has a silver and bronze star indicating participation in six campaigns. Yet the only campaign star authorized for his time before capture was for "Philippines Islands" (7 December 1941 - 10 May 1942). Under what criteria did POW's continue to earn campaign stars while in captivity? Was it for being present in the geographical area covered by subsequent campaigns?

That was my first question when I saw his Asiatic Campaign with silver star and bronze star device! I have seen some Corregidor Marine and Army POW groups with the one bronze star on their campaign ribbon (make sense) but to have a silver star?!?

Hopefully someone can shed the light on this.

That was my first question when I saw his Asiatic Campaign with silver star and bronze star device! I have seen some Corregidor Marine and Army POW groups with the one bronze star on their campaign ribbon (make sense) but to have a silver star?!?

Hopefully someone can shed the light on this.

I've wondered the same thing. He obviously wore the ribbon with those devices, but how he qualified for six campaigns is beyond me...

Maybe whomever purchased the uniforms could shed some light on the devices once they do some in-depth research?