Operation Shufly Photo album /Early USMC Vietnam Helicopter flight gear

Fly USMC

This Photo Album was a gift to me from the original owner. We flew in the same Squadron 40 years apart. This is one of the prized items in my collection. This is From Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 361's first deployment to Vietnam During Operation Shufly. There are so many Great photos in here, I have decided to share it with this forum. There are MANY Photos of the rare Beogam Flight Suit in use.

I have met several of the Great Americans pictured in this album and It is my honor and privilege to share it and their accomplishments with you

Semper Fly,

John

post-5056-0-05469900-1488332531.jpg

post-5056-0-22288900-1488332548.jpg

post-5056-0-51156600-1488332573.jpg

Prior to going to Vietnam, they had a little detour and participated in the Cuban Missile Crisis. This is the photo taken just prior to departing for this expedition

post-5056-0-43790100-1488332642.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice photos and interesting flight suit. Somewhere I have fuzzy color image of a an early Vietnam War Era

USMC H-34 Seahorse helicopter rescuing a downed aviator. The helicopter is hovering with the aviator on

the rescue cable. If I can locate the picture, I will try to research the squadron. I am almost certain

the H-34 is OD green with a red stripe on the vertical stabilizer or somewhere else. It is a duplicate

image of the original fuzzy image that was given to a friend of mine years ago. I always wondered who

the pilot/aircrewman was.

northcoastaero

Thank-you for sharing the photo album. The USMC H-34 reminds me of this 1965 Life Magazine story about a

helicopter crew combat experience in Vietnam. The squadron featured in the article is HMM-163 Ridge Runners.

I am sure you are familiar with the story.

http://time.com/3879815/vietnam-photo-essay-larry-burrows-one-ride-with-yankee-papa-13/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMM-163

http://hma1369.tripod.com/tailcodes.html

Super cool photo album!

It's crazy to think of how rare the Takashimaya Beogam flight suits are when they are so prevalent in the pictures.

Great album, John. SHUFLY was an interesting period for the USMC. I have a posthumous Air Medal in my collection to a HMM-163 pilot who was killed on 6 October 1962. I believe he was the first USMC officer to die in Viet Nam. You do great historical work for USMC Helo aviation history, Semper Fi......Bobgee (0302)

Thank-you for sharing the photo album. The USMC H-34 reminds me of this 1965 Life Magazine story about a

helicopter crew combat experience in Vietnam. The squadron featured in the article is HMM-163 Ridge Runners.

I am sure you are familiar with the story.

Yankee papa 13 is a great article. Shows the sacrifice many have made during the Vietnam War (and every war for that matter)