Show your SOS Patch

WorldWarPatches

I don't think so, i believe these were made right after the war.

Agreed. They were made after the war. I have Lt. Col. Mills' ADBC badge with similar bullion embroidery.

post-4247-0-77839000-1488341976_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting OSS Special Force or Jedburgh wing which is very similar to one that I have in my collection. I was told awhile back that the one I purchased is the one pictured on page 130 of the book titled, "Wings of World War II" by Russell J. Huff which came from another book on flight wings. I was told that it was made from a WW2 era RAF pilot wing by cutting off the crown and covering the RAF lettering and wreaths with the red circular cloth. I wasn't 100% sure about these claims due to the fact that it was not one of the four SF wings that Les Hughes has found in the hands of veterans through his research and as such is suspect. I've come across one similar to the one I have but the circular covering and lettering are different but also made by modifying a WW2 RAF pilot wing. I can't get to my wing right now but I it is a duplicate to your wing and I always thought it was a one of a kind made up piece. I have had my wing since the mid to late 1980s. Now that your wing has surfaced I don't know what to think of my wing. I was wondering if there was any provenance if any associated with your wing?

WorldWarPatches

This is an interesting OSS Special Force or Jedburgh wing which is very similar to one that I have in my collection. I was told awhile back that the one I purchased is the one pictured on page 130 of the book titled, "Wings of World War II" by Russell J. Huff which came from another book on flight wings. I was told that it was made from a WW2 era RAF pilot wing by cutting off the crown and covering the RAF lettering and wreaths with the red circular cloth. I wasn't 100% sure about these claims due to the fact that it was not one of the four SF wings that Les Hughes has found in the hands of veterans through his research and as such is suspect. I've come across one similar to the one I have but the circular covering and lettering are different but also made by modifying a WW2 RAF pilot wing. I can't get to my wing right now but I it is a duplicate to your wing and I always thought it was a one of a kind made up piece. I have had my wing since the mid to late 1980s. Now that your wing has surfaced I don't know what to think of my wing. I was wondering if there was any provenance if any associated with your wing?

It is from the same collection that the "Book Of Dreams" came out of. The 90 year old Tanker Veteran I got if from remembers removing from a uniform.

Dennis, I believe these wings were produced in England in a similar fashion as the RAF wings and were intended for wear by flight crews (pilots, etc.) who supported OSS/Jedburgh operations. Dan Griffin had one on his website a few months ago.

Here is mine

s-l1600.jpg

Here are a couple of more for pilots and flight crews.Scotty

img908.jpg

img589.jpg

Two 509th groups. First one is to Edward LeCarpentier who was an original member of the 509th, made three combat jumps, and was taken prisoner on September 15th. The other grouping is to Roger Derringerpost-4979-0-27894300-1488392828.jpg

post-4979-0-93544300-1488393683.jpgOSS KIA grouping to Thomas Blackwell. This group has been posted on the forum under another thread. Also included was his brothers grouping. He was in the 517th PIR.

You have a fine eye for better militaria, Grant. The LeCarpentier Airborne patch is the first one like that I have ever seen, absolutely exquisite. Have seen the OSS grouping, and that has to be at the top for desirable PH groupings. Original FSSF is always good to find, any of it. Well done.

BILL THE PATCH

If I might ask, the 1ssf on the left of picture, what is it made of? Can we get a closeup?, Awesome stuff.congrats

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

post-4979-0-21095200-1488461233.jpgBill,

Here you go. It looks Italian made to me. Sorry for the crappy pics, the lighting was horrible. The base material looks like it is a rose colored satin. The back side is definitely a reddish pink color.

Matthew1945

73ece404893e5388d3025c97e52e163f.jpg

Some of my pickups at the show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Italian made Mountain Tab is glorious. Nice find!

WorldWarPatches

Grant, I was trying to buy the 2 509th groupings but the seller said "someone" had just bought both. I'm glad you got them. You did very well on them!

That Italian made Mountain Tab is glorious. Nice find!

You must be very pleased with your finds. They all appear to be upgrades to your collection. They are all in very nice condition, too. No moth nips, no tears, etc.