Usqmcpt abbreviation on blanket

Dr_rambow

A friend of mine has a very odd embroidered marking in place of "US" on a infantry blanket. the blanket has the brown stripes and embroidered "brand" as in specifications:

No. 807 of April 26, 1906

No. 1107 of March 4, 1911

Except it has USQMCPT. Does anyone know what this is?

US Quartermaster Corps Product Testing?

Only thing I could come up with and take a SWAG at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Todd; I already sent Pete a message on this - I believe it is USQMC Pack Train and is actually a saddle blanket. Steve McG

That sounds like a sensible possibility too.

I thought saddle blankets were covered by the Ordnance department and had two stripes per end. There are gaps in my saddle blanket knowledge so I might be missing the information that clarifies this.

Any blanket with a tag marked QMC would be a bedding blanket. Saddle blankets would be identified with an ordnance bomb. The M1908 saddle blanket had a flaming bomb with the letters US below embroidered in the centered on the blanket with a wide and narrow brown stripe on each end. Later saddle blankets did away with the stripes and embroidery and can only be identified by the manufacturers tag sewn in the corner. The tag would have the contractors name and date with a small ordnance bomb printed on it. In I believe around 1902 the bedding blanket would have had only a large US embroidered in the center and a single brown stripe on each end. Later bedding blankets did away with the US and the stripes and would be identified by a tag sewn in the corner with QMC tag with the contractors name and date of the contract. The saddle blanket was also a bit larger and was made with a thicker wool Hope this helps.

Best George.

Dear all: Agree that Saddle Blankets were Ordnance responsibility, but I can't think of any other interpretation for USAQMCPT. The only way we'll know is if someone can find the Specifications cited in original post. Steve McG

OK gang..... Spec 807 and 1107 ARE for bedding blankets ! Neither of those specs call for USAQMCPT embroidery. The mystery continues. Steve McG