nice colored name tape set on HBT and FJ

korea drab

• 3 months later...
post-1820-1326056694.jpg

post-1820-1326056720.jpg

Ah, a fully embroiderd one, nice. as it has white lettering, I,m thinking this will not be an Artilleryman, Artilleryman had Gold/yellow lettering, as the colours of the Artillery are Gold and Red, most likey a Combat Engineer.

It is orange / white for the Signal Corps isn't it?

Looks an intensive red Craig.Look on top of the page is one orange/white tape.

• 7 months later...

Here was an interesting way to handle a long name on the name tape:

post-1963-1344586692.jpg

1st Lt. Joseph Piotrzkowski, Heavy Mortar Company, 38th Infantry, 2nd Infantry Division, in Korea ca. 1953.

Here was an interesting way to handle a long name on the name tape:

post-1963-1344586692.jpg

1st Lt. Joseph Piotrzkowski, Heavy Mortar Company, 38th Infantry, 2nd Infantry Division, in Korea ca. 1953.

Very interesting patch, if it was just the one name only I would imagine it was worn over the left pocket only as were the name tapes of that period.

....if it was just the one name only I would imagine it was worn over the left pocket only as were the name tapes of that period....

This is a case of "seeing is believing" (or not, as you like). It is plain to see that Lt. Piotrzkowski is wearing two purpose made name tapes that split his 10-letter last name into two 5-letter syllables. Maybe this was a short-timer's practical joke (the Lt. does have a big grin on his face in the uncropped pix.) It was easy and inexpensive to have novelty stuff like this hand made in Korea and even if his regimental C.O. was not amused, what was he going to do: Send the Lt. to Korea? In any case, this stunt did not permanently did not blight the lieutenant's Army career as he eventually was promoted to the rank of full colonel.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I think it's just a repair, but it's interesting that the shirt was already worn to the point of needing to be patched before the nametape was sewn on. There's also a patched repair visible on the shoulder.

• 4 years later...

Since this seems to be the main topic on 50s branch colored NAME tapes, I figuerd I post this here.

post-34986-0-47248900-1509239265.png

BG Oscar Koch Asst Div Com 25th Inf Div Korea circa 51-53, note the tape, as a general officer, just what color would one wear? but as we see. a dark color with light color wording, the wording could be in White or a Yellow, have no idea what the base color is of the tape, your thoughts please :D

Since this seems to be the main topic on 50s branch colored NAME tapes, I figuerd I post this here.

post-34986-0-47248900-1509239265.png

BG Oscar Koch Asst Div Com 25th Inf Div Korea circa 51-53, note the tape, as a general officer, just what color would one wear? but as we see. a dark color with light color wording, the wording could be in White or a Yellow, have no idea what the base color is of the tape, your thoughts please :D

An amendment. Since he's wearing the new OG Wool shirt, date will the be 1953.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a case of "seeing is believing" (or not, as you like). It is plain to see that Lt. Piotrzkowski is wearing two purpose made name tapes that split his 10-letter last name into two 5-letter syllables. Maybe this was a short-timer's practical joke (the Lt. does have a big grin on his face in the uncropped pix.) It was easy and inexpensive to have novelty stuff like this hand made in Korea and even if his regimental C.O. was not amused, what was he going to do: Send the Lt. to Korea? In any case, this stunt did not permanently did not blight the lieutenant's Army career as he eventually was promoted to the rank of full colonel.

I'm actually more curious about why a LT from the 2nd ID (Warriors) is wearing a name tape that has the nickname of a different division - AFAIK "Rock of the Marne" has always been 3rd ID's nickname.