bullion Manhattan Project Patch

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

While I was at the SOS I ran into a collector who had purchased a set of uniforms - Tunic and Overcoat for a Sergeant with the Manhattan Project. He let me take a pic of the patch as I have a portrait of a master sergeant wearing the same patch. Its so beautiful I Had to share it with you guys for reference. Would love to find one some fay to display with my pic

post-6492-0-42816000-1488251559.jpg

Some people think it is German made but doesn't really look German made to me. I tend to think it is most likely British made. Here is mine.

ddd0006.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

Yep Eric, that's the same uniform . I originally picked the group up as a BIN on eBay . It did sell to another collection at SOS on Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get the British vibe from it myself especially for a stateside unit. Gemsco?

-Ski

Here is what Bill Scott said about it

Great pick up. Thanks for sharing. I mentioned this patch in another thread in the SSI section and Bill Scott said it was British made and quote

" The Project had US Personnel working in Europe during the war trying to figure out how far the Germans were in their A-Bomb project.We think it was a US only project but Techs and Scientist from all over were involved. Scotty "

I would have to respectfully disagree, the insignia looks to be German hand embroidery. Embroidery is the same as wartime produced German Officers insignia, additionally it is higher quality work compared to British bullion embroidery.

Here's a link with showing a Post war German bullion sample board posted by patchcollector a few months ago.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/278200-a-german-made-bullion-patch-store-sample-board/

CDub