WWII POW Mess Kit & Canteen Prisoner Artwork - AMAZING

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

This mess kit and canteen set belonged to Chief Machinist's Mate P*A*U*L G*O*L*L*Y during his time as a prisoner of war in the Osaka POW Camp (later re-designated as Nagoya Camp #2-B.) in Japan. Paul was captured during the Battle of Corregidor in early May of 1942. He was imprisoned for over 1,226 days until his release in September of 1945. At some point during his capture, I believe that Paul picked up this kit from a soldier named R*A*M*O*N P M*E*N*D*O*Z*A. Records show that Ramon was also captured during the Battle of Corregidor. His name is stamped into the cup. I believe that the artwork was made during Paul's imprisonment due to the fact that he wrote Osaka POW Camp. The name of the camp changed to Nagoya #2-B in I believe 1945. Also, he wrote on the cup, "Memoirs of Prison 1942 to 19__" He did not know when he was going to be rescued so he left the later date blank. I have included photographs of all the artwork present on the kit. I have also included a photograph of Paul, some supporting documents and a passage from a post-rescue interview with a lawyer building a case against the prison guards that mentions Paul being punished by a Japanese guard. This will be an ongoing research project but I wanted to share what I have to date. Enjoy and please leave a comment!

post-131595-0-37626200-1488248778_thumb.jpg