601 asoc squadron anywhere-anytime

Gerradtgrant

Would this be a post war patch? Haven't seen this variation before. What is the history behind it? Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

It's for the 601st Air Support Operations Center Squadron, believe early 80s. They had several designations and moves over the years. Stationed in Germany, possibly at Rose AAF but I don't have my research material here. It will give you a place to look.

Randy

• 1 year later...

601st Air Support Operations Center.(ASOC) formerly designated as the 601st Direct Air Support Center (DASC) was an Air Force Mobile Communications Squadron tasked with jointly prioritizing (with the Army) and coordinating air support requests and directing aircraft until visable by the FAC. We were also tasked with the maintenance of ROMAD communications platforms for the operators. I was stationed with that organization from 1975 - 1978. At that time it was located at Maurice Rose AAF. It was my understanding that the unit also saw service in Vietnam. At the time my AFSC 304X4 was the input AFSC for the enlisted ROMAD. ROMADS were not stationed with the ASOC,

ROMADS had the same technical training along with special training mainly acquired through OJT. I belive they later acquired their own AFSC and are todays Combat Controllers. This no doubt resulted in increased promotion opportunities because it was very difficult for them to maintain proficiency in their primary AFSC.

Gary Robins

TSgt USAF

Army personnel at Maurice Rose AAF operated Huey's. I don't believe the Air Field is still operational. I think it has been turned into a museum for the German military, which suggests it was active during WWII. Maurice Rose AAF was located in Bonames which is a city district of Frankfurt am Main, Germany,

It seems to me that we also wore USAFE patches on our uniforms, though logistical support was provided by the 601st TCW at Sembach. As an interesting note, our organization was one of the first to receive the new aluminum framed tents that were assembled in multiples of 5 man sections. We were also authorized the wear of camo's prior to 1978, but funding wasn't provided.