Show your WWII Studio Photographs!

gauthieb3sxz

Gerradtgrant

All three of these are of the same pilot. I think I know his name, but, haven't done any research and don't want to misidentified him. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Gerradtgrant

That's all for now. I have more I will post later. Didn't​ want to flood the post to much! Posted Image

Gerradtgrant

Sorry for the last picture I thought I deleted it before posting. Mods can remove if deemed necessary.

• 1 month later...
Gerradtgrant

Two portrait studio photos of Fred Calnon. Taken at different times of his service. The most I can find about him is he flew on the 538 Thunderbird crew. Posted ImagePosted Image

lakenormanusa

Any clue as to what the middle ribbon is? f2f87c5faf6812aa7c4b48acfed61294.jpga3e2f11ba90a9228e6d71454d9404d31.jpg

He also has a blue combat crew patch behind his wings. With the DFC and AM w/3 OLCs, he may have just finished his tour of duty.

gauthieb3sxz

One of the more interesting portrait negatives in my collection. Picked it up in a larger lot from a seller who was selling original studio negatives from one specific studio in the midwest. Luther Smith. Super crisp detail!

tuskeegee0961.jpg?w=676

Salvage Sailor

Captain Luther Smith, Tuskegee Airmen

Portraits of Tuskegee Airmen: Luther Smith http://www.redtail.org/portraits-of-tuskegee-airmen-luther-smith/

Luther Smith, member of famed Tuskeegee Airmen, dies at 89 - Obituary http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC/20091210/NEWS/312109926

THE LEGEND OF LUTHER SMITH http://v-nep.org/saluting-our-veterans/veteran-stories/the-legend-of-luther-smith/

• 2 weeks later...
gauthieb3sxz

Just won a screamin' deal off eBay for 9.99 with no other bidders. Poorly listed and no biogaphical info on the sitter posted in the description. I believe it may actually be a period signature for her! Betty Jane Bachman - WASP ferry pilot original headshot.

s-l1600.jpg?w=676

a-l1600.jpg?w=676

What a cool thread! Here is my GGUncle, who was in the QMC during the German Occupation, serving in Germany.

post-151812-0-86986600-1503083907_thumb.jpg

Here is my GGGUncle who was an Engineer/Gunner on bombers in Alaska and the Aleutians. This is on graduation from Chanute Field in 1940:

post-151812-0-88420200-1503084119_thumb.jpg

Here is a bombardier, proudly wearing a beautiful set of Juarez wings! He was with the 36th Bomber Squadron in the Aleutians.

post-151812-0-87406500-1503084434_thumb.jpg

Here is a belly gunner, who also served in the Aleutians. He was 5'6", which I guess made him get the ball turret!

post-151812-0-73831000-1503084600_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-97288600-1503084611_thumb.jpg

gauthieb3sxz

Nice shots Stratasfan! It's always nice to see someone new to the thread weigh in!

Here is a really cool portrait that just fell into my lap. It was taken in 1943 in Long Beach and is an original 4x5 portrait shot used by the local newspaper. It captures the visage of one of only 38 WASPs to be killed during the war. Her name was Virginia Moffatt and this is literally the clearest/crispest shot I can find of her.

wasp092.jpg?w=676

• 2 years later...
BILL THE PATCH

Nice shots Stratasfan! It's always nice to see someone new to the thread weigh in!

Here is a really cool portrait that just fell into my lap. It was taken in 1943 in Long Beach and is an original 4x5 portrait shot used by the local newspaper. It captures the visage of one of only 38 WASPs to be killed during the war. Her name was Virginia Moffatt and this is literally the clearest/crispest shot I can find of her.

Posted Image

Do you know what the patch is on her leather jacket?, Looks like a 96?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk