Show your WWII Studio Photographs!

gauthieb3sxz

Given the popularity of the WWI Studio Photograph section, I thought I would start a WWII version. Try to keep photo posts strictly to studio portraits, either head shots or full bodied, and to point out any interesting features or identifications when possible.

I will start off the thread with a european RPPC that I've had kicking around in my collection for a few years. Love the crackling on the front panel!

medic338a1.jpg

And one more..... the man behind my fascination with WWII photography. My grandfather, Ambrose R. Canty who served as an assistant tank driver in Company B of the 777th Tank Battalion during WWII.

amby001.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'll Help

Newly minted pilot Lt. Stanley Calloway. Haven't been able to track anything down on him yet.

post-68384-0-61347300-1496987304_thumb.jpg

gauthieb3sxz

Lt. Alvin S. Brody KIA over Vienna in the co-pilot seat of a B-24

Wow - quite the history behind that one! Nice!

Salvage Sailor

LTC Marion Butler Fowler – Finance Officer, Special Staff, 60th Brigade, 30th Infantry Division Fort Jackson, S.C. 1941 – Retired as Brigadier General, BSM w/OLC

WWI Service

2nd Lt., 141st Inf., 36th Div., Co. I. Born in Durham County; the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Fowler. Entered the service May 15, 1918, at Chapel Hill, N.C. Was sent to Camp Sevier, S. C., and from there to Camp Gordon, Ga. Sailed for France Sept. 26, 1918. Promoted to rank of 2nd Lt., Aug. 28, 1918. Returned to USA June 8, 1919, and was mustered out at Camp Lee, Va., June 12, 1919.

60th Brigade 001b.jpg

60th Brigade 002a.jpg

Wow Paul! Nice collection! Do you specifically collect portrait shots?

Thanks! I guess I would say I'm starting to pick them up, I buy ones that peak my interest at the local consignment store.

The wedding portrait came from eBay because the photographer was in my hometown, but the Yankee Division patch didn't hurt either.

Portrait from Hal Owen Studio, Oklahoma City, OK

Most likely attending Norman Air Technical Training Center (NAATC) in Norman, OK.

n2.jpg

Wow - quite the history behind that one! Nice!

A tragic story sadly. I spent most of the 90s chasing down the story of his loss for his family.

Another sad story. Lt. Alexander Zeece. He was shot down and killed by Flak in a P-38 flying ground attack in the Battle of the Bulge, January 2, 1945. Prior to going overseas, he and his wife had been in a car accident when an Army truck swerved into their lane after the driver got a bee in his eye. She was killed instantly. He survived. He was known to fly a bit recklessly in combat. His daughter lives not far from me and we've worked on his story for a while now.

post-68384-0-69438000-1497068984_thumb.jpg

First of three more 8th AF pilots. No names, but they were part of the same batch that included the one I'd posted previously. They were clearly trying to look the part.

post-68384-0-90171400-1497069227_thumb.jpg