5th Maryland Regiment Shako Badge 175th Infantry

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I was in the 175th for years so I was beyond happy when I found this at the flea market today for $20.00. I don't know much about Shako badges, with that said what era is this and I usually don't like to ask this but whats it worth? Thanks!

post-1412-0-01995800-1488087552.jpg

post-1412-0-16228700-1488087562.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

I spent some quality time in the 1st of the 115th back when and picked up one of these shako badges perhaps 30 years ago at the old Greenbelt, MD military show. As I recall I paid about $20 for it then. I think it's a great looking badge, but other than sentimental value for those who served in the 5th Regiment, I don't think the monetary value is much above what we both paid.

Unfortunately, I've no info on its period of usage. Good score, though!

With the attachment tabs (as opposed to screw back), I'd estimate this to be 1880's/1890's manufacture with use into the early 1900's. Agree with above re: modest value. Not much demand and those who would be interested probably already have one.

But in your case, I don't think actual value matters. You found something for a reasonable price that you really like and have a connection to.

Manchu Warrior

I wasn't buying because of it value and I will most likely never sell it. With that said I'm glad he didn't want $40.00 because I would have paid him what he wanted. I appreciate the information. Thanks!