1972 Gerber MK 2-mint blade but broken handle

beerdragon54

Would like to restore this knife since it has a mint blade and I located a mint scabbard. Any suggestions? Any hope?Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke one and sent it back to Gerber and they fixed it for me at no charge.

There ya go.

I had heard in the past they would repair old knives but wasnt sure if they still did.

I would make sure they understood if re gripping the knife you want it like the original.

Thanks for the info guys. I will give it a try. Looked like Mongo the caveman had been using it.

Those are super cool knives. I let my nephew take my early 80'2 MK II to Iraq with him and he got a lot of where did you get that comments.

I think they are going to tell you something like; 'you can have it in any color you like as long as it is black". Seriously I'd be surprised if they can do it in the grey ARMORHIDE. They've been making them now with a black powder coating. Earlier the black handles were still fused ARMORHIDE. Also the guards on the current knives are different from the early versions.

Still Gerber has made commemoratives that came in both the grey ARMORHIDE and the Cat's Tongue finish, so they may be able to match things up for you. It can't hurt to ask, the worst would be a no sorry.

beerdragon54

Shipped it out today to Gerber. We shall see what happens. Thanks again.

beerdragon54

No they didn't. I explained in the online service form what I wanted. I'm sure your right but $10 in shipping is worth a try. I told them to call me if they can't put the correct one on and we'll go from there. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hope you checked the box that it had "sentimental value". If not, you may end up with a brand new knife as a replacement.

• 1 month later...

If you buy a 1977 Chevy Luv truck, look under the front seat. My Gerber Mk 2 was stashed under the seat, arghhh! Unfortunately, I sold the truck in 1988.

beerdragon54

The final verdict is they sent me a new Gerber MK2 and mailed back my old one after 3 months and said all the old timers have retired that knew how to fix it. KFC?

beerdragon54

KFC?

Autocorrect, KFC?

The final verdict is they sent me a new Gerber MK2 and mailed back my old one after 3 months and said all the old timers have retired that knew how to fix it. KFC?

Nice...typical PC corporate pass the buck answer thee days

Seems no one can ask or has and "old timer" who could be contacted??

Would think it be a matter of cutting or grinding awaty the old handle and casting or resetting a new one from stock.

Blacksmith

Probably has more to do with their cost. It's virtually free to send you a new knife, as opposed to the resource commitment to fix the old one. Testament to the disposable society we've created.