Need help dating 101st Airborne

Tom Pearcy

I am getting conflicting opinions about this, can someone please tell me what this patch dates? It does not glow under black light and the base cloth is Navy blue.Thanx.

post-244-0-04690000-1488072471.jpg

post-244-0-66988800-1488072489.jpg

Can someone quote the text that states, specifically, that the Type 11 is post war? I do not own a copy. I was informed by someone who does, that Bando's Type 11, pictured in his guide, is attributed to a member of the 502nd. Is there an assumption that Type 11 is a post war production? Or, is it stated emphatically that all, 11-15, are post war?

I have refereed this to Mark Bando. The patch in question was produced towards the end of the war through to the '50's. He has an example with WWII provenance. So... it could go either way as to the vintage of this patch. Mystery solved and thank you to all who commented.

I have refereed this to Mark Bando. The patch in question was produced towards the end of the war through to the '50's. He has an example with WWII provenance. So... it could go either way as to the vintage of this patch. Mystery solved and thank you to all who commented.

We could get even more definitive if you could ask Mark if the WWII one he saw actually had black twill or Khaki/ OD backing.

-Ski

He has seen two of the same Type ( he can't remember if they were Type 4 or 10), but was told they came together from the same vet's family. Although the patches looked the same, one was bluish-purplish on the edges and the other was tan. This was the first time that he had seen a patch with that color on the edges definitely attributed to the WW2 era. However, he was not assured because one does not know 100% if the story is truthful or if a postwar substitution could have been added. He has gotten some blue tinged Type 10s from 101st vets who stayed in the Army until the 1960s, and they attributed those patches to the 1950s or 60s era, at Ft Campbell. He feels pretty sure the eagle patches with those purplish edges date to that period, and whether they existed during WW2 he is still not 100% convinced. So, I will concede that, without any provenance, my patch is post war with the slightest chance that it could be late war. We may never know for sure. In any case, it is still a very nice and seldom encountered variation. The edge on my patch is absolutely, for sure blue. not black.