Early US Coast Guard Trench/Folk Art Seal 1920s?

mds308

This was another one of my flea market finds. Back in the day I was a Coasty and in the collector market there isn't much USCG stuff available. I found this gem about 8 years ago on a Sunday morning. After I made my purchase I thought I'd brag about it to another picker. The picker told me he passed on it yesterday. This means the piece sat out on the dealers table all day Saturday and I was late on Sunday. It wasn't the price that would have scared people away. He was firm on 10 dollars.

As for the piece, it is obviously a USCG motto framed. It looks like the work was carved/hand tooled from leather. The lighter color area looks like shark skin. I'm not certain if the leather in the tan area is carved/hand tooled to resemble shark, eel or some other exotic skin. I don't know if the dark brown area (anchors) were applied to the tan area. The total size is 18 inches tall and 19 inches wide. The workmanship and the detail is superb. The back is closed off with early plywood. Any information you'd like to add would be appreciated.

post-165739-0-51404000-1488069106.jpg

post-165739-0-66926600-1488069115.jpg

post-165739-0-02049900-1488069126.jpg