Show of Shows 2017- Real Time

Great show, as always.

Didn't buy as much as usual, but I was happy with the stuff I did get.

There seemed to be a good selection of $2000-$4000 uniform groupings, but not too many in the average/typical $250-$750 range....either that, or it was so competitive that they didn't stick around long.

As previously mentioned, some things that I thought would sell did not, and some things that I doubted would move sold with no problem.

I can't believe another one is in the books.

Just like college football season, you wait all year for it to come, and then it's over in a flash!

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On behalf of the OVMS, I want to offer our very sincere thanks to all who participated in any way; our dealers, members, public, those who shared links and said encouraging things on the forums and social media, etc. It is a team effort, and we are but a small part. Events like this are successful only when a great many are working together, and your participation and support is profoundly appreciated.

This was a transition year for the SOS - we are trying new things, and working on improving others. We learned lots of lessons at the show (as we do every year) about what works and what doesn't. Clearly, something must be done differently in regard to packet pick-up; that line was crazy. I believe there was a technology crash that caused part of that, but will know more shortly, if there is a way to prevent that from happening again, we're on it. I also want to apologize for the fact that the weather machine we purchased for the show broke down Friday night. Perhaps we got too greedy programming it for weather in the 70 degree range.. should have been a bit more realistic and tried for upper 50's. We'll do better next year.

Next week we will have a hotwash where we can get this all on paper before memory fades. If you were there and have observations and suggestions, please send me an email with "SOS2017" in the title line. agm6@advanceguardmilitaria.com (Email, please, no PM's. Would like to keep them all in one place so I can find and organize them.) The most useful suggestions usually are offered within the scope of "this would be good for the show / collecting community." We also get tons of suggestions motivated by "this is what I want for me, personally"; usually involving moving the show to within 20 miles of whoever is offering the suggestion.. often entertaining, but not particularly helpful. If your suggestions are not particularly good for the collecting community, but you feel that they might be humorous - go ahead, we could use a laugh or two. Just let us know at the end that you are kidding, unless for some reason you really do want to see the SOS moved to Minot, ND in January, and run from Monday to Thursday.

A few observations, just from my limited perspective as a participant:

Contrary to what has been stated here earlier, I believe attendance was UP from previous years. Will know for sure in a few months after OVMS has tallied all of the data and we get a report at the next board meeting, but the line out front waiting for public admission on Friday went all the way down the hallway toward the entrance to the north hall. Our photographer got some good photos which I will post once he gets them downloaded and sent to me.

Buying was GREAT! I bought some very exciting items for future catalogs, and found a few gems for myself as well. Had to slow down at some point for fear of running through the whole bankroll with days left in the show.

Selling was much stronger for us this year than last. Ran out of stuff to put out on the table and had big empty spots, emptied one clothes rack entirely, half of another one, and we had several mannequins that went through more wardrobe changes than a supermodel at a fashion show. In previous good shows, our happy total was attributed to a few specific areas (i.e., it was a great show because of all of our British medals, or the big collection of WWI painted helmets, etc.) This year, the sales were spread out throughout the variety of items that we brought, and were strong at the high end of the market, and on the less expensive stuff as well. Bodes well for 2017, I think.

I did speak with two friends who were very disappointed in their sales, but one had a table covered with stuff that I would pay money not to own, and the other is a good guy, but notoriously hard to deal with and has very unrealistic expectations when it comes to pricing his items. Honestly, I don't recall either of them EVER being happy with a show.

We had items that I hesitated to bring which sold right away, and items that I thought would be the first thing to sell that we ended up carting home. You just never know.. so bring a bunch, bring your best, price it as realistically as you can, and you will end up having a good show.

Do please think about what you saw that worked and what didn't, and type up any suggestions, kooky ideas, gripes, advice, etc. that you can cook up, and let me know. We really do take this all into consideration when planning.

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

It seemed to me the crowd was pretty strong every day....including up till tear-down time.

I always feel guilty tearing down if there are actually people there willing to buy stuff....I wish the window for tear-down on Saturday was a bit bigger....say 3-6 PM.

Fern (the company that is contracted to provide the tables) should also provide more than 6 carts for the 2,000 table show.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

All in all I had a really great show. I also felt that attendance was up this year. I can't remember the rows being as crowded as they were this year. I would place a bet that this was the best attended show since around 2008.

This was the first year I stayed past the 3 PM deadline...and boy was I happy. I found a USMC (1925-1927 service) enlisted aviator grouping (Thank you Mr. Jerry) and sold off every last helmet that I brought for sale. This also was the first year I didn't make it completely through the whole show. I was behind the table for the most part but still did manage to get out and fins a few things. The best flurry of activity was Thursday afternoon and Saturday afternoon.

I did meet a lot of first timers this year. Several of the first timers were forum members. I was glad to see a lot of returning attendees that hadn't been back since the format change of a few years ago. I requested and received a relocation this year and was very happy on the new table venue.

I agree that the things that I sold continue to baffle me. The smaller, more common items sold while my cream of the crop stayed on the table. I felt that I really had to work on getting the rarer things to sell.

My only disappointment was a severe lack of patched WWI USMC uniforms. I had a couple of unpatched blouses/group that didn't sell until Saturday afternoon. For WWI USMC, it was slim picking.

I had the most fun on Saturday when I was in full bore wheeling and dealing mode. Picked up and flipped several items through trade right up to the deadline. As a matter of fact, I didn't get to tear down until 4:50 and just cleared the tables into the bins in order to get out right at 5.

All in all it was a great show and I already looking forward to next year. Thanks OVMS!

Tom K
USMC (VMFA-115) 90 - 96
ASMIC Member
OVMS member (ready for my 16th SOS in 2019)

donation2016.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

I would like to know what everyone thought on prices. I saw a few mention earlier that high end items were plentiful. But those ranging in the lower end of the spectrum were not so plentiful.

Now, I seem to remember this from previous years comments as well.

I was wondering if this were really true. Or if the $2000+ groups just catch your eye quicker.

I am more on the $200-300 range so of course before I ever go to SOS, I would need to know if this were factually true.

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

I only went on Saturday, and I hate to be negative, particularly about the SOS, as I've enjoyed the two previous that I attended, but I could have missed this year and been fine in terms of acquisitions, not that that's really anyone's fault. The OVMS does a fine job, as usual, I think, and I figure I would chalk to up to being a weird year, maybe?

I did not see very many uniforms that were candidates for me. I have a decent amount of 8th AF things already, so while I don't disagree with pricing on many that were there, I didn't feel like they called out to me and I passed some very nice examples up simply for that reason. Most others were totally unidentified, and a lot of guys selling uniforms never bother to try to keep the ID with the uniform. Again, no one's fault, but everything I looked at (armored, 5th air force, a few other things) wasn't worth the money asked without some kind of ability to ID the guy to me. Didn't seem to be much of a uniform show. Last year, I found at least two solid uniforms that I was able to connect to people and research, and I literally only spent $120 on a decent WWI French Adrian for the heck of it. I kind of felt like $900 was not enough to have much fun at all for my interests. Again, next year will be a totally different animal, but I'd rather have been at home with my kids I think.

The WWI-looking Brit flag, the only 5th AF jacket I couldn't handle over around row W or V, and a few other things, I would have gladly bought if ANYONE was left to watch the table. Went back repeatedly. Nobody.

A fellow was selling a MkII grenade reasonably, and I couldn't remember which table to go back, so I guess that's my only regret.

I dunno, I always find something cool, and I really didn't see anything that tripped my trigger.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

I tried to keep focused on just a few items the 1st day and half then starting spending more time chatting with dealers about the show. Many told stories of the decline if value of things since 2008 and a couple got pretty dark about not being able to recover. Others seemed to be very pleased with sale, particularly those with the odds and ends, sewing kits, socks, shorts, misc items every soldier, sailor, marine, and airman might have with them. I also found that as usual the good stuff moved if priced right. Seemed to me that those that clung to ebay/internet prices suffered for it.

if dealers wanted to trade pieces for cash they did, if they valued the items more than what folks were willing to pay their inventory didn't move. Nothing earth shattering basic rules of commerce applied.

Just my two cents

Always looking for uniquely marked helmets, WWI and WWII American Field Service items, WWII and earlier USMC items and named or numbered medals and medal groups.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

post-8016-0-48641800-1578110344.jpeg

Thanks Justin - thats what I figured, is that most of those groups moved pretty quickly.

I also understand that this is THE show for everyone to bring their best items, so natually, there will be an abundance of high end items that would be out of my price range. (Obviously thats no one's fault, just facts of life!)

However, as Garandomatic says....if you didnt have a thousand dollars to play with, then there wasnt much to call out to you. That's what I am always afraid of when I go to shows. I would never have that kinda cash to throw around.

I suppose the only answer is to go next year and just find out for myself!

-Daniel

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

I'd recommend going, and spend more than one day above all. Due to a water line issue that made me take a personal day in the Fall, I could not take time off this year, or I would have been there at least Friday, if not Friday and Saturday. The rush, and the task of trying to see everything got in the way of meeting a few of the vets and a couple of members, which I think adds to my general poor experience.

I did see a decent amount of stuff that was priced above ebay prices... Maybe they'd haggle, but I'll just personally wait to find a reasonably priced Brit WWI bayonet online...

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

My critique of a first time SOS set-up(long time 20+ yr. attendance): Weds.--Packet pickup-slow but not too long.Waiting time to drive in-3hrs (wasted). Drive in-DANGEROUS, pedestrian safety hazards galore, almost "pinned" a person who darted between my van and the vehicle behind me as I backed up. Way too many people in the mostly unsupervised, very narrow drive in area and not enough room to unload.This isn't a gripe, but an accident waiting to happen! Way too many people in the hall period! Too hard to get down the aisles with a cart load. 7:30pm just to get everything to 2 tables- Closed at 8:00 pm. Please go to one of the Dixon gunshows in the same location to see how EASY it CAN be! Again, not gripping, just a recommendation.
Thurs.- Got everything setup(finally, I'm old and slow)! I would recommend 1hr. every day for exhibitors only before allowing ANYONE ELSE in the show! (Sorry, but including Life members and unsupervised small children also!) Set-up and tear-down times are when most preventable accidents, injuries and theft can occur. Sales excellent!

Fri. --Another excellent sales day! Very busy.
Sat. -- Very good sales, steady and busy all day! The light show lasted too long!(Kidding of course!) Started tearing down at 3:00pm, out at 4:55pm. Having until 6p.m. would help. Parked vehicles on exit ramp at rear of building slowed everyone down! Why are they allowed to do this?????

OK, This is not a bitch session by me, but an honest and true(for my experience anyway) evaluation of the best militaria show in the Country! All of the OVMS staff were working their butts off! Kudos to all of them! Thank you! They deserve it! Yes, some adjustments are needed, some tweeks here and there. The drive-in setup is a major safety issue! Needs a total re-think. No way else to state it! I had an overall excellent show and am very happy about it. Please make the needed changes as requested, it will benefit the exhibitors and attendees greatly. Thanks for listening.

Steve

WW1 American items donations always appreciated!

My critique of a first time SOS set-up(long time 20+ yr. attendance): Weds.--Packet pickup-slow but not too long.Waiting time to drive in-3hrs (wasted). Drive in-DANGEROUS, pedestrian safety hazards galore, almost "pinned" a person who darted between my van and the vehicle behind me as I backed up. Way too many people in the mostly unsupervised, very narrow drive in area and not enough room to unload.This isn't a gripe, but an accident waiting to happen! Way too many people in the hall period! Too hard to get down the aisles with a cart load. 7:30pm just to get everything to 2 tables- Closed at 8:00 pm. Please go to one of the Dixon gunshows in the same location to see how EASY it CAN be! Again, not gripping, just a recommendation.

Thurs.- Got everything setup(finally, I'm old and slow)! I would recommend 1hr. every day for exhibitors only before allowing ANYONE ELSE in the show! (Sorry, but including Life members and unsupervised small children also!) Set-up and tear-down times are when most preventable accidents, injuries and theft can occur. Sales excellent!

Fri. --Another excellent sales day! Very busy.

Sat. -- Very good sales, steady and busy all day! The light show lasted too long!(Kidding of course!) Started tearing down at 3:00pm, out at 4:55pm. Having until 6p.m. would help. Parked vehicles on exit ramp at rear of building slowed everyone down! Why are they allowed to do this?????

OK, This is not a bitch session by me, but an honest and true(for my experience anyway) evaluation of the best militaria show in the Country! All of the OVMS staff were working their butts off! Kudos to all of them! Thank you! They deserve it! Yes, some adjustments are needed, some tweeks here and there. The drive-in setup is a major safety issue! Needs a total re-think. No way else to state it! I had an overall excellent show and am very happy about it. Please make the needed changes as requested, it will benefit the exhibitors and attendees greatly. Thanks for listening.

Steve

Wow Steve...we must have been at different shows...rolled two cartloads through the bay doors and set up.my tables...it was pretty simple for me.

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Had a good show. Sales steady throughout the weekend. One $10K medal group sold, but most of my sales were in foreign medals -- almost nothing out of the US cases. I never got the chance to walk around and buy, but I did buy just about everything that walked up to my tables.

I got into "P" lot fairly early to join the queue for driving into the hall to set up. Many thanks for the Porta-Potties there or it would have again become the "Pee" lot of last year. The line for picking up packages was too long and disorganized. I paid in full a year ago, but I was stuck behind a crowd that wanted to spend the day making numerous changes, all of which required time to sort out. A line for those who had paid and had no changes/problems would have reduced friction and allowed the OVMS staff to deal with the problem children more expeditiously. In fact, if the packages were mailed to the fully paid table-holders, the lobby could have been cleared in half the time.

At 1500, the police officer on scene started sending the "P" lot folks over to the roll-up door. When we got there, we were told that there would be no entry until 1700. Some mis-communication somewhere. I can only echo the comments about the potential safety hazards of people wandering through the drive-in lane.

I cleared out Saturday afternoon starting at 1500 and, once I found a parking space closer to the door, that worked well.

I'm paid up for next year and looking forward to the next SOS.

Jeff Floyd

The universe is made up of neutrons, protons, electrons and morons

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

As a first time SOS attendee I was BLOWN AWAY. Found two of my best finds in years at SOS. Saw stuff over prices, under prices and prices right. I think I will alter my plans for next year, buy and OVMS membership - but most importantly go again.

An area I would sustain for next year would be the beer sales, just what I needed to keep my mind off the stuff outside my interests, as well as for the liquid courage to shovel cash out!

Every seller I had an interaction with was friendly and fun, especially meeting some for the first time, and those for the 100th time. I only had one bad interaction with a seller which was only a minor road bump in my show, he had some good stuff but got upset when I took them out to inspect them; always one at every show it seems.

Can it be Feb 2018 yet?

"Remember Bataan, Never Forget"

Actively looking for U.S. Army Run/Swim/Walk For Your Life patches.

Treasurer, ASMIC

Area V VP, ASMIC

www.asmic.org

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif
donation2014.gif

Wow Steve...we must have been at different shows...rolled two cartloads through the bay doors and set up.my tables...it was pretty simple for me.

I guess you could say we were, the "drive in" was really a mistake that I will never repeat. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic--it was just plain unsafe to have moving vehicles and people crossing in front, beside and behind as they drove in and then out. I had to close the side doors on the van and move my cart several times in unloading to allow another vehicle to squeeze thru. Add to that people walking thru the same area at the same time. I've not seen anything this bad in 25 years of doing shows of any type. One "accident" will be all it takes to eliminate the drive in forever, when actually, it's a matter of controlling pedestrian access in that area. Seems simple enough to me, but maybe it isn't. I appreciate your response though.

Steve

WW1 American items donations always appreciated!

I guess you could say we were, the "drive in" was really a mistake that I will never repeat. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic--it was just plain unsafe to have moving vehicles and people crossing in front, beside and behind as they drove in and then out. I had to close the side doors on the van and move my cart several times in unloading to allow another vehicle to squeeze thru. Add to that people walking thru the same area at the same time. I've not seen anything this bad in 25 years of doing shows of any type. One "accident" will be all it takes to eliminate the drive in forever, when actually, it's a matter of controlling pedestrian access in that area. Seems simple enough to me, but maybe it isn't. I appreciate your response though.

Steve

I didn't think you were sarcastic...I never do the drive-in...it is always complicated.

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I didn't think you were sarcastic...I never do the drive-in...it is always complicated.

Agreed...I prefer doing four round trips to the nearby lot with my cart than dealing with the drive in mess.

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Some smalls from the SOS

post-8016-0-96933400-1488246860.jpg

post-8016-0-28304000-1488246862_thumb.jpg

Always looking for uniquely marked helmets, WWI and WWII American Field Service items, WWII and earlier USMC items and named or numbered medals and medal groups.

Ike

post-8016-0-53399900-1488250769.jpg

post-8016-0-29842200-1488250772.jpg

more

post-8016-0-72143500-1488250820.jpg

post-8016-0-28600400-1488250823_thumb.jpg

more

post-8016-0-60076400-1488251058.jpg

post-8016-0-02313600-1488251061.jpg

more

post-8016-0-54814400-1488251119.jpg

post-8016-0-81649100-1488251121.jpg

more

post-8016-0-27109600-1488251185.jpg

post-8016-0-62520300-1488251187.jpg

more

post-8016-0-55414900-1488251242_thumb.jpg

post-8016-0-48648700-1488251244_thumb.jpg