How did "Grenadiers" carry 40mm grenades?

MEversbergII

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

The 40mm grenade bandolier has two straps; did soldiers just tie those together in a knot? It seems strange, since ammo bandoliers of the same vintage come as one big loop.

53 minutes ago, Turbokidd said:

The 40mm grenade bandolier has two straps; did soldiers just tie those together in a knot? It seems strange, since ammo bandoliers of the same vintage come as one big loop.

Was there a Buckle????

2 hours ago, patches said:

Was there a Buckle????

No buckle.

I used a Claymore bag during Desert Storm and while in Bosnia.

The vest was a pain in my 4th point of contact.

All guys with a M203 were issued the vest but I don't remember anyone ever using one.

I still have one of my issued vest packed away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/19/2017 at 10:08 PM, patches said:

This is a GI from the 1st Battle Group 29th Infantry Infantry Center and School Ft Benning Georgia, late 50s early 60s, as we see he's armed with the new M79 Grenade Launcher. Interesting is he still has not been issued the new M56 web gear, and is still wearing the M45 stuff, so, it appears he might be carrying his shells in that gas mask bag, or would carrying them in there. Unknown if this would of been the standard in this early period, the Reserve Components too, they took a while to get the new M56 gear, way past when the Regular Army started to get theirs.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_08_2013/post-34986-0-20280200-1377654264.jpg

Repost of Dead Photo Link.

m79 bennng.jpg

On 1/2/2021 at 10:14 PM, Grunt1SG said:

No buckle.

I used a Claymore bag during Desert Storm and while in Bosnia.

The vest was a pain in my 4th point of contact.

All guys with a M203 were issued the vest but I don't remember anyone ever using one.

I still have one of my issued vest packed away.

The vest was good when worn with the older suspenders. It really sucked when you tried to wear it over the LBV.  Having to reach under it to get to your mags was something to add extra steps and a potential point of failure if your mag got caught up in the mesh of the grenade vest as you were drawing it. Not good if you really needed to reload in a hurry.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:47 AM, patches said:

Repost of Dead Photo Link.

m79 bennng.jpg

I don't think he is carrying any rounds in the mask carrier, probably just has the pro mask.  Looking at that 40mm round he has it looks like it has an empty primer pocket so its probably just a display only and wasn't carrying any ammo.

Rakkasan187

Here is another photo from Vietnam showing a grenadier (right) wearing the 40mm bandoleer around his waist. It also appears that he has a 40mm round in his hand. (most likely he just unloaded his weapon). The Soldier in the middle is carrying an M14 rifle and the Soldier on the left is also carrying an M79..

Leigh 

278863055_1280129279184752_1247730251519208231_n.jpg