USN Uniforms

Ricardo

Very cool!

The period when all the rating badge eagles "crows" faced right, but were worn on the right or left arm depending on your speciality. This being a non "seaman branch" speciality, he wore it on his left arm. Left arm ratings were Artificer branch, engine room force and all other non Seaman branch petty officers.

Really nice Navy uniforms! I especially like the earlier stuff like the WW1 uniform that Chris showed.

Here's one of mine, a WW1 vintage uniform I bought at the local flea market for $28. in 2005. It came with the Jumper and two pairs of pants. This belonged to Earle Rothgeb who was an Aviation Machinist Mate. I have very little information on this guy and still don't know where he served yet. I haven't heard back from St Louis yet so I'm still hopeful to get a duty assignment or some additional information. There can't be too many Rothgeb's so I'm hopeful.

rothgeb1.jpg

rothgeb3.jpg

If you haven't yet you might try writing off to the Naval Historical Center at the Washington Navy Yard. They are able to provide a good bit of basic data, and are more responsive than NARA.

Nice WW1 Navy uniform! I have a special place in my heart for Overseas Chevrons on Navy Blue!

Chris

Really nice Navy uniforms! I especially like the earlier stuff like the WW1 uniform that Chris showed.

Here's one of mine, a WW1 vintage uniform I bought at the local flea market for $28. in 2005. It came with the Jumper and two pairs of pants. This belonged to Earle Rothgeb who was an Aviation Machinist Mate. I have very little information on this guy and still don't know where he served yet. I haven't heard back from St Louis yet so I'm still hopeful to get a duty assignment or some additional information. There can't be too many Rothgeb's so I'm hopeful.

rothgeb1.jpg

rothgeb3.jpg

CNY Militaria

Posted on another thread as well, but what the heck...

Navy Commander Pilot who also served post-war in the states.

Picture_216.jpg

Picture_217.jpg

Thought I'd throw up this one. Beautiful tunic, British-made ribbons, sewn to the uniform of course. Interesting to note that this fellow lacks the EAME, has the Asiatic, yet his ribbons are Brit-made. I specifically love the campaign star on the Asiatic Ribbon - and don't forget that Silver Star!

Beau

post-88-1175133915.jpg

Thought I'd throw up this one. Beautiful tunic, British-made ribbons, sewn to the uniform of course. Interesting to note that this fellow lacks the EAME, has the Asiatic, yet his ribbons are Brit-made. I specifically love the campaign star on the Asiatic Ribbon - and don't forget that Silver Star!

I could attribute that to him having it done up in a british controlled territory in the pacific, thats how one vet I met had his done. I have seen a couble CBI uniforms with brit-made ribbon bars

Ribbons

Beau

The ribbons look US made to me as well as the large battle star. The British made stars , while large, look different than these . The ribbon weave looks like US ribbon to me too. Maybe I am missing something?

Kurt

• 3 months later...
Beau

The ribbons look US made to me as well as the large battle star. The British made stars , while large, look different than these . The ribbon weave looks like US ribbon to me too. Maybe I am missing something?

Kurt

Kurt,

To me, the ribbons (including the campaign star) look like British-made ones I've ever seen. Naturally, there are exceptions to every rule. As I understand it, the larger campaign stars with the raised edges is typical British trait.

Beau

Beau

Kurt

I must agree with Kurt. I have seen many sewn on ribbons on officer's coats and these look just like so many I have seen that are US made. Chances are very slim that they are British. That certainly doesnt take anything away from a very nice uniform with very nice ribbons!

CB

Great Navy uniform collection! I have a couple Navy uniforms in my collection as well. Here's two of them.

post-1107-1184022211.jpg

post-1107-1184022465.jpg

Semper fi; Bill

KASTAUFFER
Great Navy uniform collection! I have a couple Navy uniforms in my collection as well. Here's two of them.

PT_Skipper99.JPG

6Div_HM_1a.JPG

Semper fi; Bill

WOW!!!! Is the top uniform John Bulkleys or a representitive piece ?

Kurt

WOW!!!! Is the top uniform John Bulkleys or a representitive piece ?

Kurt

Hi Kurt. Not a representative piece the tunic, trousers (not pictured) and hat (cover) are named. The tie and shirt are not named but came with it. I got it from a WW-II Navy vet when I was living in Hawaii some 30+ years ago. He had several uniform items, and this is the one I picked out for helping him paint his house. He also gave me one of his own blue jumpers as you see it in the pic below (I never could fugure out how to tie the ribbon tie think.gif). He said he was a gunner on a PT boat but I don't remember asking him which one.

Back then I didn't know much about uniforms of any sort, particularly Navy stuff, and my collection consisted almost exclusively of some stuff from relatives. At the time I got it, the Navy vet told me who it belinged to but I didn't even recognize the name :blink:.

post-1107-1184027503.jpg

This was a nice thirft store find, but I can't remember the name! pinch.gif

I think that's enough from me now. I've got about 50,000 pics and my eyes are blurring looking through them...

AdmiralUniform.jpg

Hi Kurt. Not a representative piece the tunic, trousers (not pictured) and hat (cover) are named. The tie and shirt are not named but came with it. I got it from a WW-II Navy vet when I was living in Hawaii some 30+ years ago. He had several uniform items, and this is the one I picked out for helping him paint his house. He also gave me one of his own blue jumpers as you see it in the pic below (I never could fugure out how to tie the ribbon tie think.gif). He said he was a gunner on a PT boat but I don't remember asking him which one.

Back then I didn't know much about uniforms of any sort, particularly Navy stuff, and my collection consisted almost exclusively of some stuff from relatives. At the time I got it, the Navy vet told me who it belinged to but I didn't even recognize the name :blink:.

WW_II_PTCrewman.jpg

I wonder of they were both on the same PT boat. The PI Defence ribbon is common to both uniforms and that is significant . I figured the ribbon that was blurred out in the photo could only be the one I assume it is :) . Thats why I figured it was Bulkleys .

Kurt

Guest Photographer

The commander's uniform is good and the vice admiral uniform is wonderful. I would love to own them.

I wonder of they were both on the same PT boat. The PI Defence ribbon is common to both uniforms and that is significant . I figured the ribbon that was blurred out in the photo could only be the one I assume it is :) . Thats why I figured it was Bulkleys .

Kurt

They may both have been on the same boat (or Squadron, perhaps) but, as I said, at the time I didn't know all that much about either Navy uniforms or about him and either didn't ask the vet or don't remember his answer. I wish I had had known then what I know now; we're losing these gents so quickly now; I'll never make the mistake of not getting as much information as possible, when possible, again.

It is what you assume. The whole ribbon set looks to have been hand laid up by a tailor or uniform shop. Each row is made of individual pices of ribbons wrapped around and sewn to a strip of cardboard or fiberboard or something similar. Each row is sewn directly onto the tunic and the thread used to sew them on exactly matches the thread that the tunic is put together with.

I was back in Hawaii on business in May of 2005 and went back to the old Aiea neighborhood to look the vet up again. The neighborhood was the same and the house was still there but it was owned by another family. The curent owners knew nothing about him other than he had passed away several years ago.