dated patch

Fratlanta

I recently acquired a old navy jumper, unfortunately it was all ripped off and eaten by bugs. After removing the shoulder patch., I realized it was dated in the back (1943)

Is that something common?

post-160626-0-50507300-1487462200_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I was speaking to a patch collector last week and he mentioned this, IIRC they stopped shortly after WWII.

I don't collect navy patches so hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will chime in.

I'm not sure how common it was, but there seem to be plenty of examples out there. Gives an added dimension to authenticating the patches.

If you look, you may find examples where the ladies who sewed these included their name on the back as well, as a morale booster to the sailors who'd be wearing them. I passed up a bucket full of such patches at a Midwest show years ago, and have regretted it ever since.

I do not recall seeing any dates past 1945.

I'm not sure how common it was, but there seem to be plenty of examples out there. Gives an added dimension to authenticating the patches.

If you look, you may find examples where the ladies who sewed these included their name on the back as well, as a morale booster to the sailors who'd be wearing them. I passed up a bucket full of such patches at a Midwest show years ago, and have regretted it ever since.

I do not recall seeing any dates past 1945.

. There has been an imtire discussion of this. The dates are the contract dates for that run of rating badges. The names are NOT the names of ladies who made these things, but rather the company making them. They were made in machines that made dozens at a time, not individually.

Additionally, these types of rates stayed in the system for many years after the style changed. My father has a set of blues that he got in 1965 that have applied chevron rating badge and applied stripe hash marks. And, I bought a set in the Navy Exchange in Sasebo Japan in 1984.

So while the WW2 contract date is a good indicator of age, it is not definitive.