New/Old grouping 82nd Airborne DSC winner!

Sparkyasundevil

Sparkyasundevil

The reason I titled this thread New/Old grouping is because I found this long lost grouping in a box that was stored over at my mothers place. Through several moves by my parents and myself over the years, the box just ended up hidden away in their storage container and forgotten about until recently.

So, a few months ago, mom calls up and says, "I found a box in the container and it has a bunch of your old military stuff in it". I say, "GREAT! Is it my old uniforms and equipment?" Well, she doesn't know old stuff from newer stuff so I finally picked up the box just recently and found this FABULOUS grouping inside. One that I had forgotten about 20 years ago.

I love the British made USA patch that is sewn above the Allied Airborne patch!

Nash jumped from the same plane as Robert Rae and Rufus Broadaway. Chalk 35 Serial 26.

He landed in the 101st area in the vicinity of St. Germaine de Varreville or Foucarville with 19 men. They briefly fought with men from the 502nd PIR in the vicinity of the XYZ complex. They then moved on and fought at La Fiere and secured the Mederet River bridge and causeway led by Captain Robert Rae. It is interesting that he was awarded the Soldiers Medal. I have the GO# for it and hope to see what it says in the near future.

He wrote me two letters back in 1988 in which he tells about giving me all his things and details about the DSC action. He mentions being awarded the DSC by General Bradley.

More pics are available here:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-014S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-001S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-005S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-003S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-004S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-006S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-010S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-007S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-008S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-009S.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-015S.jpg Service Company 507th PIR

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-017S.jpg This is a picture of Nash.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/P...ur/MVC-016S.jpg This last pic shows Capt.Robert Rae.

Here is the DSC write up:

Private First Class Freeman J. Nash, 38007288, 507th Parachute Infantry, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action against the enemy on 10 June 1944 in France. When Private First Class Nash's unit was committed to a frontal assault on a strong enemy position, Private First Class Nash dashed to the front of his unit and, with complete disregard for the heavy machine gun and artillery fire, set an inspiring example to his comrades. As the attack progressed, Private First Class Nash became the point of the assault echelon. In the face of almost point blank machine gun fire which had pinned him to the ground, Private First Class Nash fearlessly rose from time to time to study the enemy positions and shouted back the necessary corrections for mortar fire which materially contributed to the success of the attack. The personal bravery, initiative and daring exhibited by Private First Class Nash reflect the highest traditions of the United States Army.

post-145-1223698542.jpg

post-145-1223698585.jpg

post-145-1223698613.jpg

Sparky,

This is a truly great grouping. Sure puts my 82nd groups to shame! Hopefully you can find out more about his Soldiers' Medal. What can you tell us about the USA tab and the interesting looking Ike Jacket?

Kyle

Sparkyasundevil
Sparky,

This is a truly great grouping. Sure puts my 82nd groups to shame! Hopefully you can find out more about his Soldiers' Medal. What can you tell us about the USA tab and the interesting looking Ike Jacket?

Kyle

Thanks Kyle,

Good to hear from you as well!

The USA tab is British made and one that I believe U.S. pilots would have worn on their British made jackets. It is the first time that I have seen it done on an Airborne jacket however.

The jacket is a private tailored made one from up where he was originally from.(Nudelman Bros. Portland/Seattle) its a 44 as Nash was a barrel chested guy. It's fully lined and of the highest quality.I like the un-pleated pockets.

What a great grouping, do you know what he did to earn his Soldier's medal. I like everything about it, someday hope to find a grouping this nice..Great stuff Paul

Nice medals too by the way thumbsup.gif

Official engraving on the BS, and soldiers medals for sure. I like the number ranges on the DSC and PH too. Right numbers for the time period.

The Bronze Star is hand script engraved from the 1947-48 time period. It may have been awarded to him based on the CIB.

If I had this group I dont think I would have forgotton about it :)

Kurt

Sparkyasundevil
Nice medals too by the way thumbsup.gif

Official engraving on the BS, and soldiers medals for sure. I like the number ranges on the DSC and PH too. Right numbers for the time period.

The Bronze Star is hand script engraved from the 1947-48 time period. It may have been awarded to him based on the CIB.

If I had this group I dont think I would have forgotton about it :)

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

There is a good reason that it was forgotten to time. My parents house burned some years ago and I lost MANY great and irreplaceable items. Just another one that has turned up and thought to be lost.

Both the Good Conduct and the Soldier's medal look to be done by the same hand. What do you think?

The DSC number falls in the range of other known Airborne DSC's although to my knowledge they are not traceable. I have another named Airborne DSC numbered 18603 so just roughly 1000 off of this one.

Hi Kurt,

There is a good reason that it was forgotten to time. My parents house burned some years ago and I lost MANY great and irreplaceable items. Just another one that has turned up and thought to be lost.

Both the Good Conduct and the Soldier's medal look to be done by the same hand. What do you think?

The DSC number falls in the range of other known Airborne DSC's although to my knowledge they are not traceable. I have another named Airborne DSC numbered 18603 so just roughly 1000 off of this one.

DSC's were awarded at the " Army " level rather than " Division " level, and it seems the numbers seem to cluster more based on where/when they were issued than actual unit. I bet the number is close to other ETO DSC awards from 1944 that are not airborne awards.

That really sucks that you lost all that stuff , and the house too. Insurance cant replace this kind of group.

I missed the GCM pic the 1st time. It could easily have been engraved by the same person as the Soldiers Medal.

Nice group

Kurt

Sparkyasundevil

I have left everything just as I received as well.

Notice the EAME ribbon is upside down and the Soldier's Medal should follow after the DSC ribbon.

Sparkyasundevil
DSC's were awarded at the " Army " level rather than " Division " level, and it seems the numbers seem to cluster more based on where/when they were issued than actual unit. I bet the number is close to other ETO DSC awards from 1944 that are not airborne awards.

That really sucks that you lost all that stuff , and the house too. Insurance cant replace this kind of group.

I missed the GCM pic the 1st time. It could easily have been engraved by the same person as the Soldiers Medal.

Nice group

Kurt

Thanks Kurt.

Yeah, I lost three complete 82nd ABN, jumped on Normandy, reinforced jump suits not to mention nearly all of my personal uniforms, equipment, medals, etc. Everything I had was direct from a veteran and was given to me when I was in High School or prior. It was arson caused as someone torched my old man's motor home that was parked at the side of the house. The fire spread and took out the garage, the office, kitchen and part of the living room, so half of the house was raised.

Well I was amazed to read that the Ike is a private purchase-US made piece, then as I read further into the post I was brought to tears! At least this one made it out... but I know how you must have felt about your own stuff too. From your site and through the grapevine I know you have amassed a great collection of knowledge and material concerning the Airborne literally from the ashes.

Kyle

Hey Sparky !!

THAT...is a gorgeous grouping !! Really, really nice !! I'm glad you "re-discovered" it...and...shared it with us !! I've been lucky enough to collect a number of posthumous AB Purple Hearts over the years including a nice posthumous WWII DSC/PH pair to a Pacific theatre trooper.

Yowsa !!

Vic

Kurt Barickman

Mark,

That is a very nice set thumbsup.gif I had no clue that you had lost that much valuable material in a fire, sorry about that. thumbdown.gif Take care and thanks for posting.

Kurt Barickman

Brian Dentino

Mark:

Just a stunning 82nd grouping. Glad that it survived when so many other one of a kinds were lost to the world forever. crying.gif

What you have is a great grouping and very well documented...I would say priceless. (but I'll give ya $101 for it... :lol:

Sparkyasundevil

Thanks for the comments guys!

I should note that the DSC is a wrapped brooch style. The Soldier's Medal, Purple Heart, Good Conduct, Bronze Star, American Defense and WWII Victory Medal are all slot brooch style. The American Campaign and EAME medals are the only ones that are crimped brooch style. In the pockets were a Ruptured Duck lapel pin and two different American Legion lapel pins.

Below are excerpts from two letters he sent me. The first letter discusses that he is "happy to give me all of the uniforms, medals and other things" that he has from his time in the Airborne. In this letter he also talks about serving under Captain Rae and General Gavin as well as the 17th Airborne Div.

The next letter is awesome. He talks about the action that lead to him getting the DSC.

"We were moving out from the church towards Amreville when we ran into a German Machinegun(burp gun) and many other enemy. We were taking fire from small arms, MG's and mortars. Several men were hit and our advance stalled. I could see that where we were at was not a good position and would be killed by German mortars. I then moved the the front of the column in order to better see where the enemy was. No sooner had I done that, and a German MG opened up on me no more than ten feet away. Lucky fer me, they missed! I began to call back correction for our mortar team. Their first round landed just short of their hole. The next round landed dead on in their hole, instantly killing two of the crew and wounding one other. The wounded German put his hands up and was crying like a baby. After I had seen what the German's had done to some of our men, I wasn't going to take no prisoners, so I ran over to the edge of his hole and shot him between the eyes with my rifle. Boy, our mortars sure did a great job that day!. We took about four prisoners and killed about twenty others."

He goes on to say that he was awarded the DSC by General Bradley during a ceremony a few weeks later.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Kyle,

Good to hear from you as well!

The USA tab is British made and one that I believe U.S. pilots would have worn on their British made jackets. It is the first time that I have seen it done on an Airborne jacket however.

The jacket is a private tailored made one from up where he was originally from.(Nudelman Bros. Portland/Seattle) its a 44 as Nash was a barrel chested guy. It's fully lined and of the highest quality.I like the un-pleated pockets.

Actually I believe that the khaki "U.S.A." tab was worn by any U.S. Volunteer serving with Commonwealth forces. Those serving with the RAF or other Commonwealth flying services would wear the the proper color tabs. This tab is actually correct for Army service.