A waste of a Sherman :(

M1A1-1944

I pass this sherman tank frequently and finally decided to inquire. It is owned by a parts/boneyard and they have no desire to sell or restore it. It just sits there rusting away. I was told "If you want it, you'll have to buy the business". I know it's their right to do what they please with it, but IMO what a waste of history. Sad!

post-4155-0-60846900-1487362911_thumb.jpg

My experience tells me there's a cash offer that would buy it - especially as the owner is a businessman. You gotta make sure you're talking to THE owner. And honestly, the cost on even a purely aesthetic restoration would be tens of 1000s of dollars - if done right. To get it moving on its own power, the sky's the limit. I've seen multiple cases where well-intended collectors "save" a vehicle, just to have it sit on their property and rot. At least this one is by a frequently-traveled road. Rusting hulk or not, it is enjoyed more than sitting in a barn.

What would you have done if he told you "$50,000 and it's yours"?

What is the one next to it ?

I was so fixated on this sherman, I'm not sure. I think it might me another sherman but modified. I'll take more pics next time I pass them.

]I believe that is Sam Wiener's place in Akron Ohio based on the sherman and the M32. Yep, just looked up the google street view in front of their place and that is it.

post-3718-0-59107700-1487365977_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pull off a heist. Load her up on a flatbed at night after they close and leave a duffle bag of cash in its place haha.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a strange hodgepodge of a Sherman. Early gun mantlet, later turret hatch, early welded hull with modifications for wide stracks, yet it has narrow tracks, etc. wonder if the pieced it together from a bunch of de-milled Shermans?

• 6 months later...

Keep on dropping by and enquiring. Find out who actually has a say in selling it. Wear them down. And be sure you can front an offer... Their remark sounds like they didn't really feel you were a serious buyer.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam used to be in TN. He moved up there to be with family once his health started failing. I believe he has passed. I talked to him about buying a Stuart when I purchased. He was hard to deal with. Never could get a firm price, so I bought one out of Birmingham, AL.

I guess dealing with tread kickers over the years kinda gives you a bad attitude with people.

Sam used to be in TN. He moved up there to be with family once his health started failing. I believe he has passed. I talked to him about buying a Stuart when I purchased. He was hard to deal with. Never could get a firm price, so I bought one out of Birmingham, AL.

I guess dealing with tread kickers over the years kinda gives you a bad attitude with people.

Is this the same Sam Werner that used to be in Tracey City, TN and had all the M422 Mighty Mite Jeeps & parts? I used to buy parts from him back in the 70's & 80's for my Mighty Mites. Back then, he would only sell parts, not any of his complete Mighty Mites...

• 3 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

That is an oddball hodge podge. M34 mantlet, all-around vision cupola, E9 suspension on a small hatch M4A3 hull....

Simon Lerenfort

Would consider all worth saving from rust (although rusting will take a good few years). Surely he must have had some serious offers over the years. Hope they get back up and running.

I'd suspect the lack of a 'serious' qualified buyer and lot's of idiotic offers might have soured the owner on discussing any sale. One really can't blame him. I think a serious offer with a plan for the tank and the finances in place would make a huge difference. I'm sure the owner hasn't hung onto these without developing some emotional attachment, thus the reluctance to discuss selling them. If he wanted to sell them to just anyone there'd be a for sale sign on them.