Vietnam era watch

Justin

Hi guys, I am looking for a watch for my vietnam airsoft and reenactments, not a US watch, looks of Pictures and Videos of Grunts wearing thick leather watches, that is the kind I am looking for.

So if you know a ebay seller that sells old looking thick leather brown watches, post a link or a site

Thanks

Justin

Like the watch on his wrist below.

post-2305-1223686517.jpg

As stated by the other members the wide watch bands were very popular in the late 1960s and 1970s.I still see a lot of them in junk and antique shops and at all the fleamarkets.Some are even new,never worn.

I would take Spike up on his offer you wont find a better deal!!

RON

As stated by the other members the wide watch bands were very popular in the late 1960s and 1970s.I still see a lot of them in junk and antique shops and at all the fleamarkets.Some are even new,never worn.

I would take Spike up on his offer you wont find a better deal!!

RON

I already did, ;)

Thanks again Spike!

craig_pickrall

I fixed it for you. The edit feature is active for 30 minutes after you post but then turns off. A MOD or ADMIN can edit it for you after that time. If you need help please ask.

• 3 weeks later...
Grizzly Adams

The wrist bands or "brace" were popular, but not always worn with a watch. Note the wrist band and the issued watch.

COMNAVF.jpg

The wrist bands or "brace" were popular, but not always worn with a watch.

Those were probably even more popular in the civilian world than in the military: we had those and our big wide brown leather belts with large buckles and a pair of Fryes Boots. We was hip. :dry:

Here's a cheap watch I bought at the Ft. Sill PX to take to 'Nam. It only took one week in Vietnam to kill it! It didn't last beyond the first LZ I was on. For most of my tour I never wore a watch-I simply didn't need one. The watch is a Sheffield "Allsport". The band is marked "TROPIC" on the back.

DSCN4586.jpg

Grizzly Adams

Here's the watch in the pic. I wore it for about 8 years after the war, before it finally stopped. Not repairable, as the case is a solid sealed plastic unit.

DSC01209.jpg

Marked:

Wrist Watch

General Purpose

Westclox 75071

FSN 6645 089 7273

DAAA25-88-C-0078

Date Apr 1968

Serial No.

US

COMNAVF.jpg

• 1 month later...

That watch can be repaired or at least it can be serviced. Also the Westclox is a very collectable item. Shoot me an email if you want it looked at...Scott

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic but I figured this would be helpful.

This is watchband that was bought by a 25th Inf Div vet from a street vendor during his Dec 1969 - Feb 1971 tour. Someone must of made a whole bunch around 1970 and gave them to vietnamese vendors since Ive seen them in a few different peoples pictures. Mainly from units north of Saigon. The band is cheaply made, typical for the stuff vendors sold. Some kind of animal skin sewn oven a black plastic material. Someone good with crafts could probably make one. I attached pictures from Vaughn Banting (2/12 Inf. 1970-71) that show these bands and a AP photo of a 2/12 Cav, 1st Cav Div soldier at FSB Speer in Cambodia June 24, 1970. In the AP photo it looks like he has this kind of band but colored it black (since theres some brown visible).

IMG_5177-1.jpg

IMG_5178-2.jpg

machinegun-chopper-door.jpg

buying-stuff-from-the-Vietn.jpg

helmetpeace.jpg

Many of those bands could be bought at the base exchange at that time, some had them made custom.

There used to be a bracelet that guys wore either for good luck, to show how long they were there, what they did, or just because they looked different or cool. It was made from a chain found in the huey but a bicycle chain was said to look the same and passed just as well.