Original and theatre used photographed M1 helmets with proof show yours

ArchangelDM

USMC-RECON0321

I'll add one. This helmet I acquired direct from the family of Colonel Ola Aloysuis Nelson, who In 1943 sailed to England and became commander of the 24th AAA Group, part of the Third Army. (An AAA Group was comprised of several AAA battalions, the number of battalions at any one time being tailored for the mission at hand. A Group was a tactical headquarters without administrative support functions.)

About 1July 1944 Third Army landed in Normandy and started to move east. 24th AAA Group stayed with Third Army throughout, eventually winding up in area of Munich. After VE Day, the 24th became responsible for managing a group of Displaced Persons camps in the area. Most of the DPs were from the Baltic countries, people desperate not to be returned home to Russian ruled territory.

COL Nelson returned to the States from Europe in June, 1946.

In this picture you can see he is only wearing the liner and standing next to Generals Eisenhower and Patton.

Thanks Troy

post-33000-0-50838700-1488125005.jpg

post-33000-0-10751100-1488125046.jpg

stealthytyler

I'll add one. This helmet I acquired direct from the family of Colonel Ola Aloysuis Nelson, who In 1943 sailed to England and became commander of the 24th AAA Group, part of the Third Army. (An AAA Group was comprised of several AAA battalions, the number of battalions at any one time being tailored for the mission at hand. A Group was a tactical headquarters without administrative support functions.)

About 1July 1944 Third Army landed in Normandy and started to move east. 24th AAA Group stayed with Third Army throughout, eventually winding up in area of Munich. After VE Day, the 24th became responsible for managing a group of Displaced Persons camps in the area. Most of the DPs were from the Baltic countries, people desperate not to be returned home to Russian ruled territory.

COL Nelson returned to the States from Europe in June, 1946.

In this picture you can see he is only wearing the liner and standing next to Generals Eisenhower and Patton.

Thanks Troy

attachicon.gif DSCN5095a.jpg

attachicon.gif $_57 (1)edita.jpg

Very cool to have a photo of this helmet in the presence of two great leaders!

Did he change out his chinstrap at some time? The one you have on the helmet is dark in color but the one he is wearing in the photos are tan color.

Yes, when he gave me the helmet the chinstrap and pads were gone. He said they were just too nasty! I replaced the pads with used ones and the chinstrap is new.

Cheers,

Mike

stealthytyler

American Red Cross M1 FS SB Helmet worn by Helen Chapman in Europe. Helmet is named on the inside.

Congrats! I followed this helmet and almost went for it. Great looking lid.

American Red Cross M1 FS SB Helmet worn by Helen Chapman in Europe. Helmet is named on the inside.

Man I love that lid ! Just look at the camo

Thankyou for posting

This one was used in Iraq in 2007 and Afghanistan in 2009. Pictures below show use in each campaign. If you look at the paint chipping off the top, you can see the other paint job.

post-164442-0-33714300-1488280982_thumb.jpg

Jack Kron, Korean War. With his helmet and talking with Jack Benny. He was a Major in Korea and was promoted post war to Lt. Colonel. He apparently kept his helmet after the war as his liner retained his Major rank but, his helmet carries the promoted Lt. Colonel rank.

post-12943-1297015007.jpg

post-12943-1297015161.jpg

DSCN8759.JPG

Kron Display 002.jpg

WWI Chaplain Michael O'Conner. The paint was done post war but the gouge in the paint can be seen when he wore in field and after the war when it was painted.

blotch mark circled.jpg

blotch mark circled 1.jpg

Unable to say with certainty, however per the son of the vet (the son is still with us), who in turn heard it direct from his father, this helmet:

post-29885-0-23894900-1488304773_thumb.jpg

Is the same helmet the vet is wearing in this photo, taken in Arkhangelsk, in Northern Russia.

post-29885-0-20987000-1488304873.jpg

Man I love that lid ! Just look at the camo

Thankyou for posting

Not camo. Dirt and clay from dirty hands IMO.

Still a great lid.

Awesome thread as well.

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthytyler

Jack Kron, Korean War. With his helmet and talking with Jack Benny. He was a Major in Korea and was promoted post war to Lt. Colonel. He apparently kept his helmet after the war as his liner retained his Major rank but, his helmet carries the promoted Lt. Colonel rank.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing

ParanormalTrooper

Absolutly fantastic lids, im in love with this thread!

Bugme, I have to say that that Vietnam officers painted lid is probably one of my favorite vietnam lids ive seen... She's a looker!

That's wonderful,

Yours, Guy.