Original and theatre used photographed M1 helmets with proof show yours

ArchangelDM

Cool thread! Liking all the helmets posted; to me, a helmet that shows photographic period use is museum grade!

ArchangelDM, in the book "Helmets of the ETO" there's a couple of really nice examples of M1 helmets with period photo's of them being worn.

Pat

Thanks Pat for the heads up. Haven't got that book , I'll buy it tonight.

Be good if this thread and it's members could make it into a book

Burning Hazard

Actually, a good chunk of militaria book authors are forum members here so we can always ask if they'd want to include some updates in future releases :)

Actually, a good chunk of militaria book authors are forum members here so we can always ask if they'd want to include some updates in future releases :)

Sounds good to me I would buy a book like that

Tyler, you could post photos of your Grandfather's helmet every week, and I'd always enjoy seeing it.

I guess I will start this off with my grandfather's beach battalion helmet. Im sure many have seen it but I couldn't resist sharing it again! Photo was taken August 1944 during Operation Dragoon at Sainte-Maxime, France.

attachicon.gif SBS M1 Helmet 4th BB.jpg

stealthytyler

Tyler, you could post photos of your Grandfather's helmet every week, and I'd always enjoy seeing it.

hahaha thanks! Sorry if I share it too much. I really should take more/different photos of it if I continue to share it so its not so redundant!

Hunter Whittaker

Here's one I found at a surplus store in a big box with other items from the same soldier. I researched the unit patch and found this picture of the soldier who used it. If you look closely you can see his ranger tab on his sleeve. I have the exact jacket he is wearing in this picture. I have 2 modified dcu jackets that he wore. I still don't know his first name unfortunately.

post-157121-0-60781600-1487964250_thumb.jpg

Simon Lerenfort

Present day band of brothers, mourning the loss of one of their own. I hope history and future generations hold these guys up in as much esteem and reverence as those old war horses of WW2 are held so long after their greatest days.

stealthytyler

Present day band of brothers, mourning the loss of one of their own. I hope history and future generations hold these guys up in as much esteem and reverence as those old war horses of WW2 are held so long after their greatest days.

+1

Sgt. James Bethea, 118th MP BN (ABN). He was stationed at Fort Bragg and told me that he used this helmet during his practice jumps. James also used this helmet in two tours of duty in Afghanistan at the Airborne Forward Base in Warduck Province. He was attached to Special Forces, Mountain Operations. For some missions he had his military dog. James was in many firefights and lost his best friend to road side bombing.

post-576-0-35912300-1488087102_thumb.jpg

stealthytyler

Sgt. James Bethea, 118th MP BN (ABN). He was stationed at Fort Bragg and told me that he used this helmet during his practice jumps. James also used this helmet in two tours of duty in Afghanistan at the Airborne Forward Base in Warduck Province. He was attached to Special Forces, Mountain Operations. For some missions he had his military dog. James was in many firefights and lost his best friend to road side bombing.

Did he change out his chinstrap at some time? The one you have on the helmet is dark in color but the one he is wearing in the photos are tan color.

Did he change out his chinstrap at some time? The one you have on the helmet is dark in color but the one he is wearing in the photos are tan color.

Just looks like the lighting to me. I think it's the same chinstrap.