Indain war kepi or not

skipproo1

I have an unusual kepi that one could say it dates from ca. 1883 – 1890 with rank of Lt. Col. The makers mark inside the kepi is from Ridabock & Co. and Baker and McKenney ; J.H. McKenney & Co Established 1847 are not included. Ridabock & Co that bought out Baker and McKenney ; J.H. McKenney & Co in ca, 1883 – 1889. I don't know how far Ridabock & Co..Successor to Baker and McKenney ; J.H. McKenney & Co actually goes back. I have seen Ridabock & Co. with dates as 1870. How ever, this kepi seams to have been made from the civil war era and then later maybe modified to the french pattern in the 1880's with the short round brim and the golden chin strap..

The reason I say this is because this kepi very much resembles a CW Zouave period model. It carry’s two buttons that is without doubt from the civil war era made by Steele & Johnson Manufacturing Co. 1850s. Further more this type of “coat and arms” was only used during the CW as on the bottom of the buttons states ” Excelsior”. Excelsior was connected to General Sickles, who had the 70th - 74th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiments (brigade). Which had heavy losses defending Emmittsburg Road in Gettysburg.

In 1864 the 70th - 74th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiments were either mixed in with other regiments and the rest were mustered out. So there was no point making the Excelsior buttons any more. The kepi also shows what I think could be a field repair. Why would a high ranking Officer not take his kepi to a store to have it properly repaired if he wasn't in the field. This is a quick time period repair to the kepi.

The golden chin strap is sewn to the leather chin strap to what I think was once original to the kepi. The kepi is made with a very hard yellowish cardboard like material to make this a high crown as worn in the CW for the Zouaves Officers and others .The 73rd and the 74th New Yorkers was a Zouave regiment which this kepi extremely resembles of except the brim and chinstrap. Maybe Ridabock & Co made the altercations with an inside repair and just put their logo inside as it still happens today. There is name in the sweatband but unfortunately have of it is missing.

I could be wrong alt together and the kepi was made in the 1880;s and the buttons were just put on by the owner for sentimental purpose.

post-64565-0-61429700-1486942345_thumb.jpg

post-64565-0-39201800-1486942346_thumb.jpg

post-64565-0-12767700-1486942347_thumb.jpg

post-64565-0-79755200-1486942347_thumb.jpg

post-64565-0-09223900-1486942351.jpg