Navy Rank What is Era & Why Made This Way? Trimmed Crows

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

I was given this at the Flea Mkt. today. It is approx. 3 3/4" wide by 4 1/4' high with 2nd stripe folded under. It is a course, heavy material. What era is it? Also why was a second and smaller separately affixed stripe folded under and sewn into place? Richard

post-15934-0-25511600-1486919988.jpgpost-15934-0-13453100-1486920001.jpgpost-15934-0-66189200-1486920015_thumb.jpg

Not sure the era, but I'm pretty sure this is a standard Navy practice...where you're given one rating insignia and it's either cut or folded to the proper rank.

Based on the chevrons being fully embroidered (not sewn-down material) these could date anywhere from the 50's to 70's.

And agree, just selling 1st Class rates and then the buyer adjusting/trimming/folding-under the excess chevrons made stocking these easier.

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

There are a few comments and examples buried in old topics about how we cut and folded our 'crows' in the 60's thru the 80's just like the example which started this topic.

Primarily, we're talking about 'crows' for our Whites and Blues, although we would also use this method on our unrated utility or work jacket 'crows' too. All of them were made as Petty Officer First Class rates (E-6), Vanguard was a primary supplier to the Ships Stores and Navy Exchanges. We would trim off one or two Chevrons to make an E-5 or E-4 'crow', and sometimes cut a small V shaped notch at the bottom point, then fold the excess under to make a clean hemline. I've got some on my uniforms where I trimmed off one Chevron, V notched it, and folded it under to make an E-4. When I was promoted to E-5, I just cut the stitching and ironed out the second Chevron to make it an E-5.

Some examples

crow BM3.jpg

Crow HM3.jpg

Crow HM3a.jpg

Based on the chevrons being fully embroidered (not sewn-down material) these could date anywhere from the 50's to 70's.

And agree, just selling 1st Class rates and then the buyer adjusting/trimming/folding-under the excess chevrons made stocking these easier.

I agree that converting a 1c to 3c is not unusual, but there was a trial run of embroidered chevrons in 1943, so if the base is cotton, it could be older than 1950s.

suwanneetrader

It sure feels like cotton to me. I do not want to make a mistake saying it is cotton and it would not turn out to be, so if a Forum member wants this I will mail to a US address and if it is the trial run then send me what ever you want to. See me a PM. Richard

suwanneetrader

Does a Navy collector want this? If your a young collector just send me something to cover postage and I'll mail it to you. :o:lol: Richard the old guy

After 1948, all rating badges were made as PO 1, and the individual trimmed off what was not needed, folding under what was trimmed to form a hem. There were various ways of doing this. This was also done with hash marks if needed.

In the early 1970s, the Navy went to fully embroidered insignia, in all Rates from E-2 to E-6. They went back to the PO3, PO2,PO1 individual rates. Very thick and chunky. Some guys tried to get the higher rate when theirs was not available. And cut them down. Looked awful. The Navybabandoned (again) the individual grade rating badges, going back to just PO1 and letting the individual cut then down. Logistically, works great.