EXTENSIVE USMC GUADALCANAL DIARY GROUPING WIA

Awesome !!! Thanks for your sharing !!! Tom

In memory of 798 Marine Raiders who were killed in action in World War II.

In memory of four U.S. Army Servicemans from 328th regiment , 26th infantry division.

THOMAS BOWMAN KIA 10/30 1944

WILLIAM Bereza KIA 12/24 1944

CHESTER MUNDELIUS KIA 3/14 1945

ALAN Milne KIA 4/8 1945

And when he gets to Heaven, Saint Peter he will tell: "Another Marine reporting, sir — I've served my time in Hell!"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes total sense now.. I didn't think of reserve vs. active at all.

amazing find especially direct from the family. exactly how you want it.

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Great Group Rob. So complete with great items. Thanks for sharing it!

JD

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Reading some of that diary.....where he got hit in the shoulder and it felt like he got 'kicked by a mule'. Wow. What a grouping. Nice find, and thanks for sharing!

506th Fighter Group Historian

Interested in all items relating to the 7th AAF, especially those of the VLR P-51 Pilots of the 15th, 21st, and 506th Fighter Groups.

donation2016.gif

This is as nice as they come. What a great grouping!

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

My god that's an amazing grouping. I love seeing the Pre War items mixed with the WW2 items. Early on in 2017 and I'm pretty sure its safe to say that gonna be the best find of the year for you. I'd literally have a heart attack if I found all that.

Always looking for WW2 USMC militaria and WW2 Corpsman militaria. If you have any you don't want or want to sell let me know, I might be interested.

donation2016.gif

Fantastic! I have to wonder - how does no one else in his family want these things? Especially diaries and photos. One day a young person is going to wish they had some idea of what grandpa did in the war...

I would love to be able to read the diary if you would be able to post photos of all the pages some day (a lot of work, I know). Those items which show the man behind the uniform are special.

I hope he made you promise never to break up the grouping ;-)

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi all,

Thanks again for the kind comments. As soon as I have time I'll take a better photo of the knife and will try my hand at more diary pages, never enough time.....

As for the question of the family parting with the items it's an age old discussion - I've been buying militaria since I was a teenager and back then nearly all of it came from the veterans themselves. I cannot count how many time a veteran told me I was the first person to hear his stories, the first person who was interested in his history, his "stuff". Endless veterans I met just wanted their items not to rust or turn to dust in drawers, basements, attics, they just wanted someone to have the items who would APPRECIATE them as they once did, their families were often there to OK this as well. They didn't care if I kept or sold the items so long as somewhere down the line somebody owned them who would get enjoyment from the items, take care of their things. Most veterans that I met in fact collected coins, stamps or such at one time and understood easily why people would collect patches, medals, etc.

In the end all people, all families are different, some wouldn't part with items for all the money in the world and more power to them I say. Others saw it it differently, items viewed as clutter, kids or grandkids without interest in history, and some people "God-forbid" who just wanted money instead of the souvenirs. Everyone reading this thread and frequenting this forum are undoubtedly history buffs and sometimes it is easy to project our interests unto the population as a whole. The truth is that everyone has their own mindset and we shouldn't judge too quickly the majority of the population that may think a bit differently.

This veterans family kept a copy of the diary, photos, a few other small things. They didn't want trunks of stuff sitting around for half a century any longer, and they wanted it to be appreciated. A 1000 views of this thread attest to the fact that more eyeballs have been laid on these items in the last couple weeks than the last 50 years and I'm happy about that. Off my soapbox now...

-Rob

• 2 months later...

Hi Rob,

that really is a great group, can you post a couple of photos of his knife and show what it is (Camillus/KA-BAR ect.) please :)

cheers, John

Interested in US Naval and Marine aviation history, aircrew wings & insignia.

WW2 US Navy and Marine Grumman Wildcat, Avenger & Douglas SBD aircraft.

Also interested in US 5th AF in Australia.

donation2013.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

Late to discover this thread, but as said many times above: stunning, outstanding and fantastic!

Always looking for items associated with the China Marines! Visit chinamarine.org

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

What an incredible group! Thanks for sharing with us

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi All,

Bringing this topic back up after a long hiatus, had decided to keep it, now acquired some more items from the family and have decided to sell.

Will post it for sale in the appropriate section although not sure now to link it. Came up with a bunch of his discharge papers, letters

home from him and others in the service. Photos of friends in the service. 1957 Edson's Raiders association certificate - he trained with them, did

not see combat with them. His 1941 diary, well written and Dec 7th is covered. There are loads of other photos and such but just too much to

photograph. Here's some of the new stuff.

-Rob

post-19820-0-24749000-1574212632.jpg

post-19820-0-70272600-1574212637_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-87979800-1574212644_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-02663000-1574212651_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Amazing collection. Do you have any information on that Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal ribbon in his shadow box (attached to a Good Conduct ribon). My Grandfather was a Marine at Guadalcanal (2nd Raider Battalion) and he also had a couple loose Expeditionary Medal ribbons in his possession. I am trying to determine why these Marines were given these ribbons since officially, the Expeditionary Medal was only awarded once during WWII for the defenders of Wake Island. Thanks!

Are you piecing this grouping out? I just was asking because I saw one of the uniforms on ebay.

Looking for WWII Americal Division and 147th Infantry Regiment Uniforms and anything relating to the Army on Guadalcanal.

donation2018.gifimage.png.eeda3e0d45132eb99f4dd8b07fd60103.pngdonation2020.gif

Yes, I saw the same thing on Ebay too and the diary in a separate auction.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif