EXTENSIVE USMC GUADALCANAL DIARY GROUPING WIA

flyingtigerfan

Makes total sense now.. I didn't think of reserve vs. active at all.

amazing find especially direct from the family. exactly how you want it.

-Brian

Reading some of that diary.....where he got hit in the shoulder and it felt like he got 'kicked by a mule'. Wow. What a grouping. Nice find, and thanks for sharing!

Brian Dentino

Simply an amazing and historically valuable grouping! In my mind, having that diary is like the icing on an otherwise outstanding cake!!!!!!

WOW! Thanks for posting this wonderful group. I hope it stays together. Does any other group include the Corpsman wound tag with the PH?

BKW

My god that's an amazing grouping. I love seeing the Pre War items mixed with the WW2 items. Early on in 2017 and I'm pretty sure its safe to say that gonna be the best find of the year for you. I'd literally have a heart attack if I found all that.

Fantastic! I have to wonder - how does no one else in his family want these things? Especially diaries and photos. One day a young person is going to wish they had some idea of what grandpa did in the war...

I would love to be able to read the diary if you would be able to post photos of all the pages some day (a lot of work, I know). Those items which show the man behind the uniform are special.

I hope he made you promise never to break up the grouping ;-)

flyingtigerfan

Hi all,

Thanks again for the kind comments. As soon as I have time I'll take a better photo of the knife and will try my hand at more diary pages, never enough time.....

As for the question of the family parting with the items it's an age old discussion - I've been buying militaria since I was a teenager and back then nearly all of it came from the veterans themselves. I cannot count how many time a veteran told me I was the first person to hear his stories, the first person who was interested in his history, his "stuff". Endless veterans I met just wanted their items not to rust or turn to dust in drawers, basements, attics, they just wanted someone to have the items who would APPRECIATE them as they once did, their families were often there to OK this as well. They didn't care if I kept or sold the items so long as somewhere down the line somebody owned them who would get enjoyment from the items, take care of their things. Most veterans that I met in fact collected coins, stamps or such at one time and understood easily why people would collect patches, medals, etc.

In the end all people, all families are different, some wouldn't part with items for all the money in the world and more power to them I say. Others saw it it differently, items viewed as clutter, kids or grandkids without interest in history, and some people "God-forbid" who just wanted money instead of the souvenirs. Everyone reading this thread and frequenting this forum are undoubtedly history buffs and sometimes it is easy to project our interests unto the population as a whole. The truth is that everyone has their own mindset and we shouldn't judge too quickly the majority of the population that may think a bit differently.

This veterans family kept a copy of the diary, photos, a few other small things. They didn't want trunks of stuff sitting around for half a century any longer, and they wanted it to be appreciated. A 1000 views of this thread attest to the fact that more eyeballs have been laid on these items in the last couple weeks than the last 50 years and I'm happy about that. Off my soapbox now...

-Rob

• 2 months later...
Flightpath

Hi Rob,

that really is a great group, can you post a couple of photos of his knife and show what it is (Camillus/KA-BAR ect.) please :)

cheers, John

ParanormalTrooper

That is a dream grouping right there!!!

Absolutely incredible... honestly idk what else to say! holy crap!

flyingtigerfan

Thanks all. Will try to take a few more pics this weekend of the knife etc. I recently bought a few more items from the family so I will update the thread. Thanks.

-Rob

• 4 weeks later...
milcollector

Nice pieces of history.

Great to see the diary giving is thoughts.

I am not familiar with the 100%Duty badge.

What is it and what is it for?

Thank you, David

• 2 years later...
flyingtigerfan

Hi All,

Bringing this topic back up after a long hiatus, had decided to keep it, now acquired some more items from the family and have decided to sell.

Will post it for sale in the appropriate section although not sure now to link it. Came up with a bunch of his discharge papers, letters

home from him and others in the service. Photos of friends in the service. 1957 Edson's Raiders association certificate - he trained with them, did

not see combat with them. His 1941 diary, well written and Dec 7th is covered. There are loads of other photos and such but just too much to

photograph. Here's some of the new stuff.

-Rob

post-19820-0-24749000-1574212632.jpg

post-19820-0-70272600-1574212637_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-87979800-1574212644_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-02663000-1574212651_thumb.jpg

Wow. That's truly incredible. Too blown over by the content of this post, I'm sorry, might have missed it - was this a direct veteran acquisition? From family?

flyingtigerfan

It all came from his family. Would have been great to have met the veteran himself but after reading his diaries you feel like you know him in a way.

-Rob

• 1 month later...

That's sad,

after over 75 years together, I guess it's his to do what he thinks is best/most profitable, but still, a great pity!:(