EXTENSIVE USMC GUADALCANAL DIARY GROUPING WIA

flyingtigerfan

Outstanding group, and I really like the pre-war items mixed with it. The Good Conduct medal is odd in that it says First Enlistment 1940-1945 when his first enlistment would have been 1935-1939, since you said he enlisted in 1935.

Steve

That is a spectacular grouping. Seeing official engraving on a WIA PH for Guadalcanal is not unknown. It seems a number of them were issued. I used to own one to a Raider.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt for the education, I never doubted for a moment it wasn't right, I just don't think I have ever seen a WIA officially engraved PH before. This grouping as many others have already stated, is simply amazing. Thanks for sharing. Kevin

flyingtigerfan

Thanks for all the comments, I'm enjoying going though the lot. Thanks to Kurt for answering the PH question, I've only seen a few USMC officially engraved WIA medals and those were from Guadalcanal veterans. Not sure why the GCM has 1st enlistment since he was in since 1935.

-Rob

One of a kind! I have waited my whole collecting life to find something like that! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

So much to like - The named cartridge belt, the acid etched dog tags, and wound tag definitely highlights for me!!!

Thank you for posting!

Best,

Bill K.

Was this from the family or another collector? I just wonder if some items were added... the GCM makes me wonder.

Otherwise it could just be a mistake but not sure why it would be like that.

Super grouping!!! I can't believe all this stuff stayed together.

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The engraving on the GCM is good too. I'm sure there is a good explanation for the dates and it saying 1st enlistment. I'm guessing prior to 1940 he was in the reserves? And he may not have been the best behaved marine? Anyone have any ideas?

Great group!

FANTASTIC Group! Congrats. Re: the GCM engraving. His GCM time started when he went on Active Duty. Notice he has an Organized Marine Corps Reserve medal. Wonder if it's a FLEET Marine Corps Reserve medal, That would be more Icing on the Cake! I'm humbled seeing this Museum Quality group. Semper Fi Marine Valley! Bobgee

OOOPS! Saw the close-up of the OMCR Medal.....It's not a "FLEET". :wacko:

I've been away all day and you're Grouping was the first post I've seen today. What an incredible Grouping you have there! Really if I was to come across such a find I would not be able to sleep for days until I unearthed everything I could find on this Marine.

Congratulations

flyingtigerfan

Thanks again for the comments. Thanks to Bobgee for explaining the dates on the GCM. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to state anything I didn't know as fact. He was reserve until 1940. All the items came straight from the family, they were in footlockers and on the walls of his veteran man cave. There is another box of items here and if there is anything of interest I will post it. Thanks for looking.

-Rob

Great grouping as previously mention. Keep the pictures rolling, it's not often we see such a complete group like this. As for the first enlistment question on his good cookie medal, that would be a correct if the Marine previously served one enlistment in the reserves and then transitioned into active duty.