Chaplains Helmets, The Spiritual Leaders Covering

Bugme

THis one is id to a brigade chap who served in Irag and also served the longest time in combat wihtout a break since Korea, 172d SBCT.

post-1429-1240117290.jpg

THis one is id to a brigade chap who served in Irag and also served the longest time in combat wihtout a break since Korea, 172d SBCT.

post-1429-1240117290.jpg

I am trying to remember was this Chap. Lee's? Or yours?

Though at the moment I can't remember, was Chap Lee one of your or 501st?

BTW a very belated but happy Easter to you and yours. I read your cookie recepie, I loved it. What a wonderful way to introduce children to the word of G-d. I learn more, and get more inspiration from you than you know.

Timo

I am trying to remember was this Chap. Lee's? Or yours?

Though at the moment I can't remember, was Chap Lee one of your or 501st?

BTW a very belated but happy Easter to you and yours. I read your cookie recepie, I loved it. What a wonderful way to introduce children to the word of G-d. I learn more, and get more inspiration from you than you know.

Timo

This lid spent 16 months there. The 172d SBCT deployed for 16 months. Other units did 15 or less.

• 1 year later...
Anyone else got one to show here?

Here is one that appears to be original and has matching liner. Front seam, swivel loop, manganese rim. Believed to be WWII as it came with a small grouping including photos of WWII Germany churches, and other scenes. No name. jps

post-3673-1285302292.jpg

Here is one that appears to be original and has matching liner. Front seam, swivel loop, manganese rim. Believed to be WWII as it came with a small grouping including photos of WWII Germany churches, and other scenes. No name. jps

Awesome Chaplains helmet Pat! Then it has a matched liner to boot... it just doesn't get any better!

Since there have been a couple of other real pics, hope this is OK, Chaplain from 2/39th 1968

Thanks guys for posting the period pictures of Chaplains! It makes a great resource so, if you have 'em, post 'em! I'm really stunned by the myriad of sizes on those Airborne Chaplain lids. Just goes to show, there was NO standard in the Army concerning these.

Here's a couple of WWII Chaplains wearing their helmets. Notice the great variation of size and style on these two. First: Chaplain J.J. Doyle, 1944

Chaplain_J_J_Doyle_1944.jpg

Where's the Jewish Chap Lids at?
Unfortunately, I've never seen one. Not even a Jewish Chaplain in a photo wearing one, although, I'm sure there were some lids which were painted showing the "ten commandment tablets" insignia.

Unfortunately, I've never seen one. Not even a Jewish Chaplain in a photo wearing one, although, I'm sure there were some lids which were painted showing the "ten commandment tablets" insignia.

Not even in photos, you mean WWII dated? I thought they might spring up on nam or modern era lids.

• 1 year later...

While I don't have his helmet, my grandfather was an Army Chaplain in WWII. So I thought this might be the place for a couple of related items. Here is his class photo and his tough-sh*t card for troopers who were having a rough time with something. I Just thought this might be interesting to some, mods feel free to remove if inappropriate.

-Lee

post-69474-1339107472.jpg

post-69474-1339107566.jpg

That T-S card is very clever, very witty, note that each complaint has a Bible passage under it, in another words it's all in the Good Book, look to the Good Book my son, it will explain and answer all your problems :D

fordmustanggt_350

WWI Chaplain helmet ID'd to Charles R. Sanborn of the 91st Infantry Division. I got this great helmet from Falls Creek Militaria!

post-2569-1339295013.jpg

post-2569-1339295029.jpg