Chaplains Helmets, The Spiritual Leaders Covering

Bugme

I've enjoyed seeing these chaplain helmets! Here's my one (1!) authentic chaplain helmet. Worn by a chaplain in both Afghanistan and Iraq, 25 months total, though not consecutive.

post-121808-0-68977100-1405530939.jpg

• 5 months later...

Chaplain Thomas Fraker of the 1st Bn. 505th Infantry 82nd Airborne Division in Vietnam - August 1968. The letters on the cover look like "CHA PPT". Not sure what that means other than maybe Chaplain Protestant?

Here's another image of Chaplain Tom Fraker of the 1st Battalion 505th Infantry in Vietnam. His camo cover reads CHAPPY which I guess was his nickname.

post-1761-0-19927800-1420728222.jpg

What a great photo! Looks like Chaplain Fraker used a sharpie to do everything on his cover. Goes to show, not everything in Vietnam was issued to Chaplains, it was often field altered.

USMC-RECON0321

Actually, I miss that one.

No worries, it has a good home and if you're in my neck of the woods, I could set up a visitation. :love:

• 1 year later...

Just added this to my collection. This is the WW1 helmet of 26th Division chaplain Michael J. O'Conner showing the painted 26th Div. HQ insignia and cross. This comes with his complete 1926 uniform. I'll start a complete thread on this one soon with better photo's.

Chap 2.jpg

Chap. 1.jpg

Just added this to my collection. This is the WW1 helmet of 26th Division chaplain Michael J. O'Conner showing the painted 26th Div. HQ insignia and cross. This comes with his complete 1926 uniform. I'll start a complete thread on this one soon with better photo's.

Very nice!

• 5 months later...

Just a basic one with no ID, but, legit.
Chaplain 2a.JPG

This USN lid was repurposed multiple times as a Repair station helmet, plain jane helmet but, began life as a chaplain. Multiple layer of repaint were removed for this one.
1003191.jpg

• 11 months later...

These two Chaplain helmet have been posted on other thread but for research I thought best to post at least one picture of each.

The navy is not named but does have a rank applied to the front

The WW1 is named to Peter J. Kroll of the 27th division

post-158590-0-08976700-1520725946.jpg

post-158590-0-47496500-1520725966_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bugme, that last chaplain you posted a pictures of is so cool, any known history of it? Its the one where you had to remove the paint.

Thanks Greg

• 1 year later...

Bob, it’s always a great thing when a still shot or picture can put a helmet in a particular moment in time and this one is a killer shot.

Marty

I found a picture of a chaplain from the Korean War wearing a helmet just like this.

The image is a screen shot from The Big Picture: Army Chaplains.

That photo is a dead ringer for your helmet Bob. Photographic evidence is always the clincher whenever there's a question.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

How many chaplains were in the 24th infantry regiment? I feel it should be pretty easy to find who wore it.

There were three African American Chaplains in the 24th Reg.

I do not have a picture of Chaplain James P. Spencer. Roman Catholic. From Baltimore. He served at the very end of WWII. Left the Army and was called back. He was born in 1900 so he would have been between 50-53 during the Korean War. So I assume the it is Spencer in the pictures with the lid since he looks the age. The others are younger in the pics below.

I found pictures of two of the chaplain. It is hard to tell.

Here is Chaplain Major James A. Edden. Episcopal

post-1429-0-90709400-1554514903.jpg

Here is Chaplain Ernest W. Armstrong. Baptist U.S.A.

post-1429-0-65157800-1554514940.jpg

Bob, Spencer is a possibility. Chaplain Spencer was white and the person in the still shot looks to be caucasian, he died in 1959.