Chaplains Helmets, The Spiritual Leaders Covering

Bugme

One of my areas of collecting interest is in the category of U.S. Military Chaplains. So, I thought I'd post some of my Chaplain helmets representing several different eras from WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Recent Military. If you've got one, please feel free to add it to this thread, I'd love to see yours!

USMF_Posting_147.jpg

Bugme that Vietnam helmet is amazing! w00t.gifthumbsup.gif

The word is out and now you see it Justin, it's not all WWII. I really do have a few 'nam items. :rolleyes:

My favourite thumbsup.gif I'd give that one a good home if you ever decide it needs another trip across the pond. ;)

Rich

Rich... No. ;)

Nice helmets! Mike

Thanks Mike!

**Let me use a little Vietnam era vernacular: Anyone else have a Sky Pilot's lid to post here?

Hello,

this helmet belonged to Col. Harold B Lawson. He was from 1945 - 48 Chaplain in the Navy and from 1948-71 in the Army.

Now, that is a very nice lid. First 'nam era Chaplains lid that I've seen with rank. Awesome!

Here is my addition.Nothing outstanding and no history.The helmet was a walk in to a small gunshow I was set up at a year ago.A guy I know bought it and I got it second hand from him.He stated it was in a brown paper bag and the people who had it found it in the garage when they bought the property.The welded area where the cross is appears to have gotten really hot and there is a crack in the helmet to the left of the cross.I am guessing it may have been from one of our local guard units and used in the 60s or 70s.

RON

post-342-1223780489.jpg

post-342-1223780464.jpg

post-342-1223780405.jpg

I wish this helmet was in my collection, but it's not. I believe it came up for sale on eBay and I was thinking about bidding on it; so, I copied the photo. Anyway, I think you'll agree that it's awesome. If if it belongs to a Forum member and he/she wants me to take it down, I'll be glad to, with my apologies. This is Father Robert P. Galbraith's helmet.

post-70-1223866428.jpg

post-70-1223866447.jpg

I sold that 7th corps chaplains helmet a while back on ebay that belonged to Robert Galbraith. That one was a real killer and came direct from the former owners parsonage. Almost kept it myself but I am not a helmet collector.

I wish this helmet was in my collection, but it's not. I believe it came up for sale on eBay and I was thinking about bidding on it; so, I copied the photo. Anyway, I think you'll agree that it's awesome. If if it belongs to a Forum member and he/she wants me to take it down, I'll be glad to, with my apologies. This is Father Robert P. Galbraith's helmet.

post-70-1223866428.jpg

post-70-1223866447.jpg

That is one sweet helmet!

GB, I also saved the photos from this outstanding piece. They're a great set of reference images for real aging of thick coatings of paint on helmets.

post-70-1223866428.jpg

post-70-1223866447.jpg

I sold that 7th corps chaplains helmet a while back on ebay that belonged to Robert Galbraith. That one was a real killer and came direct from the former owners parsonage. Almost kept it myself but I am not a helmet collector.

When did you sell it? I'm always on the hunt for these things and can't believe I missed it! Break it to me gently... what did the winning bidder pay for it?

When did you sell it? I'm always on the hunt for these things and can't believe I missed it! crying.gif Break it to me gently... what did the winning bidder pay for it?

I sold this about 2 to 2-1/2 years ago. I believe it went to Florida and sold in the 2500.00 range. I did research on it before I let it go.

• 6 months later...

Heres mine. the lid of Luke Oska (if the spelling is right). this helmet came of sleeze bay 3 years ago. the woman told me it was from the realitive of her husband and she sent a picture and write up on him. no question about this baby at all------------------

post-73-1240098091.jpg