Any Photos Of An Enlisted Man Wearing An Officer's Shirt? (WWII)

Matthew1945

Anyone have any clear photos of EM's wearing officer shirts, or officer style private purchase shirts? I've seen a few photos of this being done but am trying to figure out how common place this practice was.

- Matt

post-34986-0-01822600-1465091466.jpg

Here's one, the famous author James Jones, after he got back to the states. The belief is with this foto is that he is more than likely home on leave after being wounded and convalescing circa late 1943, hasn't been issued or acquired his CIB yet, CIB comes out around this time.

With Jones in this particular intense, he's wearing the what seems to be the Dark Chocolate officers shirt, maybe even the same shade trousers, he's also wearing those OD on Khaki chevrons too, which adds to his Non Standard appearance.

My Uncle was in during the Korean War. He was a Cpl. as pictured. I have a few of his shirts he gave me, some time before he passed away. Corporal Chevrons on an officers shirt. I always wondered about that as well....its taylor made in Japan. He was wounded at Heart Break Ridge. Grenade shrapnel in the hip. 2nd I.D. 23rd Regt.

My Uncle was in during the Korean War. He was a Cpl. as pictured. I have a few of his shirts he gave me, some time before he passed away. Corporal Chevrons on an officers shirt. I always wondered about that as well....its taylor made in Japan. He was wounded at Heart Break Ridge. Grenade shrapnel in the hip. 2nd I.D. 23rd Regt.

After 1947 all ranks wore shirts, both OD wool and Khaki with shoulder loops.

Don't recall if it had loops, but I handled a local 41st Div. combat medic's uniform that was 100% original, without question, and it had a dark chocolate officer's shirt with it and he was enlisted.

post-34986-0-01822600-1465091466.jpg

Here's one, the famous author James Jones, after he got back to the states. The belief is with this foto is that he is more than likely home on leave after being wounded and convalescing circa late 1943, hasn't been issued or acquired his CIB yet, CIB comes out around this time.

With Jones in this particular intense, he's wearing the what seems to be the Dark Chocolate officers shirt, maybe even the same shade trousers, he's also wearing those OD on Khaki chevrons too, which adds to his Non Standard appearance.

That's an awesome photo. Definitely weird to see what looks like Khaki & OD Stripes on his shoulders in addition to that shirt. Got any others?

That's an awesome photo. Definitely weird to see what looks like Khaki & OD Stripes on his shoulders in addition to that shirt. Got any others?

That's what they are OD on khaki stripes. Will keep a eye open for more examples, I'm hoping other members can add more too.

Unfortunately I can't post pictures now, but I have a couple of photos of my Uncle (USMC) wearing an Army officers shirt with pointed shoulder straps with his Marine Sergeant stripes. It's a khaki shirt and he is wearing it with his wool green trousers. Photo was taken around the end of WWII stateside.

Steve

A veteran I knew.507th PIR

He wore thisearly in the warand as a homecomung uniform as well.

post-342-0-86183600-1383353434.jpg

Very nice uniform and spectacular grouping. What rank was he when he left the service? Any reason as to why he never put any rank on his shirt?

Amazing example but....it's incredible how the regulations goes to hell during the ww2

GS

As far as that goes, the wearing of "Officer" OD or Khaki shirts by Enlistedmen, normally without coats, was something really done when on leave or being totally discharged, it's hard to imagine one wearing one in formation or on duty, I don't know maybe one or more desk jockey EMs might of got away with it on duty, like maybe a Master Sergeant or something, maybe not. Will keep our eyes posted.

Forrest Guth !

Another great photo, note too the wear of the Khaki shirt with coat, something that was unauthorized, and done as far as we can tell when off post, or on leave/pass and stuff.

Desmond Doss wearing Khaki shirt in October 1945 when he was awarded the MOH, also opting to wear the M26 coat with the old Garrison Belt to boot rather then the new IKE jacket. Would like to find out if this became a official optional item (though not necessarily in formation) to wear with the IKE jacket in 1945-46, because in 1947 the Khaki shirt did become standard with the OD IKE, later with those Tan poplin shirts towards the end of the 40s.

post-34986-0-88317100-1487186331_thumb.jpg

Desmond Doss wearing Khaki shirt in October 1945 when he was awarded the MOH, also opting to wear the M26 coat with the old Garrison Belt to boot rather then the new IKE jacket. Would like to find out if this became a official optional item (though not necessarily in formation) to wear with the IKE jacket in 1945-46, because in 1947 the Khaki shirt did become standard with the OD IKE, later with those Tan poplin shirts towards the end of the 40s.

attachicon.gifphpdrwuL4AM.jpg

Seems a lot of the Pacific guys got out with not having an ike.One group I have to a Silver Star reciepiant had only the 4 pocket and tan summer enlisted shirts.No ike...32nd Div,Also a 32nd to another vet thats a 4 pocket.

I have another to an Ampib Engineer,a Tank Destroyer 4 pocket,a nice Group to a ground crew 5th AF fighter Group mechanic.Have a pgoto of him in his unifom as well done locally.

As far as that goes, the wearing of "Officer" OD or Khaki shirts by Enlistedmen, normally without coats, was something really done when on leave or being totally discharged, it's hard to imagine one wearing one in formation or on duty, I don't know maybe one or more desk jockey EMs might of got away with it on duty, like maybe a Master Sergeant or something, maybe not. Will keep our eyes posted.

The one of the paratrooper I posted has the old GHQ Reserve patch on it and believe his dates to around 1943 prior to his going overseas with the 507th(82nd Abn.).He was to jump Normandy but missed the jump due to an old leg injury flaring up and bone infection.He was hospitalized several weeks.His best friend was the only survivor from their stick.Later returning to the unit in time for the Bulge he found out his friend had been KIA in Belgium.He earned his combat jump on the Rhine drop.

Very nice uniform and spectacular grouping. What rank was he when he left the service? Any reason as to why he never put any rank on his shirt?

As far as know he was aways a Private.

• 3 years later...

Found one, again a GI after discharge, Bill Maulden home from the war, as he wears ribbons on it indicates he was not wearing an IKE or M1926 Coats, The shirt has pointed pocket flaps so definitely a privately acquired officer's shirt, a shirt that was tailor made.

mauld.jpg

Over the years picking up tunics/blouses from the rag houses you would see many Army/AAF m26 blouse w/ Pacific area patches.  Far more than the ones out of the ETO.  Even 20th AAF almost all were blouses, as were the 13th AF.  Now, the 14th came across many jackets that were cut down by Chinese tailors.  5th AF usually blouses or an Aussie battle jacket.