Debunking the "J. O'Brian" hallmark - It is Josiah Odence

rustywings

I think the forum moderators are pretty clear on the fair use doctrine, and you can spend a few minutes using GOOGLE to get a pretty good idea of what the limits and pitfalls underlie fair use for yourself. And to my knowldedge, you don't need "permission" to post material on this forum, especially if you are participating in a discussion for educational or historical reasons. It would seem that for the sake of congeniality or politeness, if you know who owns the copyright of an image you are using as part of that discussion, that you seek permission prior to posting. For example, I will link (but not post) images that are on Bob Schwartz' wing site unless I have asked him for his permission first.

It is also my experience that the forum moderators may ask you (or moderate) a particularly disruptive or controversial image, but I would suspect that is more for maintaining the "temper" the discussion than of concerns for copyright violations.

Without going into excessive detail, a path forward was fairly unclear after receiving terms from the archive who provided me the image. What they implied about copyright ownership turned me away from wanting to share. So did their need to have further permission/ payment in order to post here on the forum. I didn't want to just do it and have them follow up with the forum owner for my apparent breach of agreement.

Trust me, I'm not trying to be dramatic or obtuse. I just got a formal warning when I asked about the possibility of using the image after asking the source. If someone had time to negotiate with them, I'll happily point them in the right direction and they can try to get a fee waiver and web permissions in place.

• 4 years later...