WWI USMC or US Army Helmet?

TXMarine81

Hello everyone! I wanted to post this helmet that I found at an auction onto this forum for some feedback as I'm thinking about perhaps putting a bid in on it. Unfortunately, these are the only pictures of the helmet, and were provided by the auction company. The helmet is a bit perplexing, as it does appear to have the correct time period 1914-1922 USMC field cap and hat ornament mounted, but the shape and colored background does not match the USMC units with the Army's 2nd Division. The painted background appears to be a yellow horizontal oval, which would (according to my research) indicate the US Army's 2nd Battalion of the 23rd Regiment - whose background was a yellow circle. The 4th Marine Brigade did have horizontal oval backgrounds, however those appear to only have been in black (for Brigade HQ) and purple (for the 6th Machine Gun Battalion).

Therefore, to me this appears to be a US Army 2nd Battalion, 23rd Regiment, 2nd Division helmet with a WWI USMC field cap/hat ornament mounted to it. What do you all think? I would really appreciate any feedback or information anyone may have with this curious mystery. Thank you very much. Semper Fi.

-Preston

post-163082-0-84723000-1486687324_thumb.jpg

post-163082-0-10228800-1486687336_thumb.jpg

post-163082-0-66977100-1486687348_thumb.jpg

I am not so certain that oval was painted yellow. It looks to me like the oval could have in fact been black or purple originally and has oxidized or faded over the years to what you see today. It is definitely an oval and not the circle I would expect to see for the 2nd battalion 23rd infantry as suggested. I am leaning toward liking this helmet as a possible 4th brigade HQ or 6th MGB. What I can make out of the Indian head looks hopeful and is of a design used on other legitimate helmets I have seen. I would like to hear from others. Are you able to inspect the helmet before bidding? It would be nice to know if the ega hole is punched and whether there is a name or initials anywhere. Kevin

It looks like the helmet was varnished at some point in the distant past, and the yellowing of the finish has made the color of the oval difficult to discern.

It looks like the helmet was varnished at some point in the distant past, and the yellowing of the finish has made the color of the oval difficult to discern.

I agree and thought the same thing after I posted. At one time this was done pretty regularly. The more I look at this helmet, the more I like it. The condition of the paint would have to be factored into the value, bit I am leaning toward a good one here.

Thank you everyone for your analysis and feedback, I really appreciate it. In contacting the auction house for more information about the helmet, they said that it was a 4th Brigade HQ helmet. So the ideas put forth that it is a faded/oxidized black oval appear to be correct. Good eye guys! It's very interesting to get experienced eyes that can see details and nuances that I still cannot. Thanks!

-Preston