517th on ebay right now? post war? WW2

Thor996

Currently with 37 bids and @ $500 somebody likes it!! Wonder what a TRUE WWII era pre May 1945 chain stitched patch would bring today??

Airborne-Hunter

Currently with 37 bids and @ $500 somebody likes it!! Wonder what a TRUE WWII era pre May 1945 chain stitched patch would bring today??

It's real and its the harder to find US made version. Last French made piece I saw went for $3200 or $3400. When it comes to a chain stitch piece, some would say the money is easier to obtain than the patch....ABN

Hate to disagree with with above but THIS is the one you want if you want US MADE version that I would consider to be the FIRST US MADE type. You could find literally hundreds of PINK before you would see this version available. In 60 years of serious collecting this is the third I have seen for sale,and believe me I have looked!

OH bye the way if you saw a French chain stitch for sale and could afford the 3400 price tag ,would you know enough to be sure it was real? I would bet there is less than a handful on the forum that have the funds and have the requisite knowledge to pull the trigger. What I am saying is that if you seriously want a rare and some what affordable 517th this is the one you want. No it is not mine on eBay for sale.

Check out pages 160 and 161 in the Emblems on Honor by the Kellers. If you have not purchased the book it is a must have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0615996248

The kellers are also on this forum too. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/220740-theyre-here-emblems-of-honor-airborne-book-update/?hl=%2Bemblems+%2Bhonor

Already 660! Believe one sold recently for 800 which I think is still inexpensive for this patch. Maybe I am dreaming but if patch was in better shape could go for 1500.

I'm not trying to be a toad in the road, but for the record, I'm not convinced any of the US made 517th patches are war time, red pink or orange. I've seen no conclusive evidence either way, except that the pink and red ones have a striking similarity to other airborne pocket patches that are considered war time produced. Rarity doesn't make one or the other a war time version I'm afraid, nor does the presence of a certain type in vet groups (I've seen all three in groups BTW). I'm also not sure what criteria was used to determine which of the types is earlier than the others. I also don't place a huge amount of stock in opinions passed down from other collectors, unless this opinion is based on some sort of fact. A picture of one in wear...or a picture of a "boots" or other post war variety in a catalog would be convincing IMO. Perhaps this sort of evidence exists and it just wasn't discussed in the thread I started, but I still have a question mark about all of the apparently US made versions. Just my opinion. I'm not a patch collector per se, so the "most likely early post war version made for veterans" pink one worked for my purposes. IMO the evidence about the red ones isn't compelling enough to make them worth the figures quoted in this thread though. Just my two cents...

This is a wartime patch. Quite a few years ago I interviewed a local vet who was in the 517th from beginning to end. He had his Ike jacket (which he would not part with, but which I photographed) with this patch on the left shoulder. It was attached with snaps. He was very emphatic that he wore the jacket at least from Camp Lucky Strike until his discharge. The reason for the snaps: The only way that the men could leave the camp was by passing the gate MP's in proper uniform. This included wearing the 13th Airborne Division patch, something a proud 517th combat vet found somewhat distasteful. Once away from the gate, the 13th patch, also with snaps, came off and the 517th patch went on until his return. I hope this will be of some help.

Jim

Jim thanks so much for your input. I am a patch collector and have been at it seriously for 60 plus years and that is all my efforts are focused on, and all things considered my money in on RED

This is a wartime patch. Quite a few years ago I interviewed a local vet who was in the 517th from beginning to end. He had his Ike jacket (which he would not part with, but which I photographed) with this patch on the left shoulder. It was attached with snaps. He was very emphatic that he wore the jacket at least from Camp Lucky Strike until his discharge. The reason for the snaps: The only way that the men could leave the camp was by passing the gate MP's in proper uniform. This included wearing the 13th Airborne Division patch, something a proud 517th combat vet found somewhat distasteful. Once away from the gate, the 13th patch, also with snaps, came off and the 517th patch went on until his return. I hope this will be of some help.

Jim

Thanks! This is compelling evidence IMO

There's a lot of talk about this patch, but to be honest not much real interest...YET. Look at the 44 bids!! Only 3 guys bidding!!! There would be more guys willing to spend the 3K for a chain stitched 517 that this one, including myself.

A militaria dealer sold a minty one as a BIN on Ebay recently for $850. The BIN makes it tough to judge, but I would say $8-900 is probably the range for one. This one is a little interesting because it looks to have been sewn to something. The others I've seen look un used...

A steal at 850. how do you compare the rarity of the red 517th to an OD border 101 div? Which do you see for sale? How many have you seen? OK lets make it easy for you maybe they are the same and if so 1500 is in the ball park.

Well...I was the high bidder on this patch and will post some better scans when it arrives. I entered my highest bid, and was surprised to win it by a few dollars. I thought this thread would push the final price a bit higher. I wanted this one because it appears to have been sewn to something. This is confirmed by the seller, who found this patch in the bottom of a box at an estate sale. I wouldn't pay more than I did for one of these. In fact, I can put this one out on my table for $1250 at the SOS to see if it sells (which I doubt). I collect WWII airborne in general. Although it is always a top seller, the absolute mania for it has subsided and prices have dropped....fact of life.

Brian Dentino

Nice pick up Kadet. I personally like this patch, but since I am far from an expert I didn't comment on the debate but have been watching the experts here for sure. Look forward to seeing some better, more detailed scans to see this one in better detail. A hard to find patch for sure.