176th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, Service Company Guidon

nirvana

Had this as a reply to another post, pulling it out for its own. The 176th was active during WW2 and looks to have been part of independent field artillery groups. III Corp, which took part in the Bulge. Service Company flags are more tough to find, HQ as well. I've never seen a "cannon company" flag, which would've been attached to an infantry group and labeled as "CN." The unit was dissolved in 1954. I can't say for sure if this is the WW2 or Korean era flag, but it is certainly one of the two.

WW2 Unit History

http://www.criba.be/fr/stories/detail/176th-field-artillery-battalion-history-wwii-129-1

They also took part in Korea, and were issued 105mm guns. This interview states that they were in the form of Sherman tank chassis, so I am assuming that they were issued M7 priests of some flavor.

https://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp-stories/loc.natlib.afc2001001.20801/transcript?ID=mv0001

post-153664-0-21115000-1486574484_thumb.jpeg

Nice flag. there is usually a spec tag inside the bottom of the sleeve. Sometimes dated.

Its got the generic QM tag, with what I recall is a wartime date. However, wartime flags continued to be used after the war, as they apparently made tons of them. I've seen flags that are pretty clearly from the 1960s made with wartime dated colors. The color of the letters may give some clue, but I've not nailed that down yet.

Right, the cannon company guidon attached to an infantry unit. A relative of mine was in cannon company of the 263rd, part of the 66th. He missed the SS Leopoldville sinking by luck.

I recall the guidon posted above. I contacted the seller and tried to buy them, but they were already sold. The 415th flag puzzled me, it looks real, but there is so much fraying around the letters, so much loose thread. That's not normal, so I wasn't comfortable calling it real. It felt off, but I still would've probably bought it. A very neat flag either way.

• 5 years later...