Sateen shirt with pocket patch: CT National Guard

capt.maddog

This has been the CTNG patch for a long time, since 1949, when National Guard HQ's start to get shoulder patches of their own.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/Heraldry.aspx?HeraldryId=12343&CategoryId=7445&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services&ps=24&p=0

I think this particular patch on this shirt has something to do with the 43rd Brigade 26th Infantry Division, The old 43rd Infantry Division of the Vermont, Connecticut NG was redesignated as a command, the 43rd Command, Divisional in 1963, essentially it's combat status downgraded and or removed completely. In 1967 though the 26th Infantry Division of the Massachusetts NG gets another Brigade, this one title the 43rd Brigade and has elemts of the Connecticut NG, so I'm thinking it may of been the 43rd Brigade HHC patch.

• 1 year later...

This has been the CTNG patch for a long time, since 1949, when National Guard HQ's start to get shoulder patches of their own.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/Heraldry.aspx?HeraldryId=12343&CategoryId=7445&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services&ps=24&p=0

I think this particular patch on this shirt has something to do with the 43rd Brigade 26th Infantry Division, The old 43rd Infantry Division of the Vermont, Connecticut NG was redesignated as a command, the 43rd Command, Divisional in 1963, essentially it's combat status downgraded and or removed completely. In 1967 though the 26th Infantry Division of the Massachusetts NG gets another Brigade, this one title the 43rd Brigade and has elemts of the Connecticut NG, so I'm thinking it may of been the 43rd Brigade HHC patch.

TIOH is down indefinitely, so here's the photo of the CTNG HQ patch that's been out since 1949.

post-34986-0-83385000-1525494883.jpg

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if a subdued version of this was made, apparently so, this on a cotton sateen background with merrowed border, short pig tail apparently glued down, the backing being it seems of paper. (item is for sale over at Bill Wise's Soldierstrunk on EBay).

post-34986-0-71492000-1531019342_thumb.jpgpost-34986-0-58645400-1531019363_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Taking the liberty and reposting this PM, as we see member says 26th Inf Div's early-mid 70s, aviator, not sure on what aviation unit was a part of the 26th Inf Div back then, whether it was a battalion or a company. Since the bulk of the 26th Inf Div was up in Massachusetts, perhaps the Connecticut based 43rd Bde had a detachment to support it, and it fell under the HHC of the 43rd Bde, and member's Farher was in it.

Sent 17 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

mohawkALSE, on 16 Jul 2018 - 8:13 PM, said:

Totally forgot about that post. My father was a helicopter pilot in the CT ARNG back in the early to mid 70s and his TW shirt had one of those style insignias attached to it. It wasn't a patch, but was a large metal pin on insignia. The rear I recall said Connecticut Army National Guard and had a space to be engraved but he never had that done. On his OD green fatigues at the time he was in the CT ARNG they were part of the 26th Inf Div as it had the YD patch on his left sleeve and his combat patch of the 101st Abn Div from his tour in Vietnam. Not sure how the Aviation units were designated back then, its all different now as the Aviation Branch didn't even exist yet in the Army. At some point over the years the CT ARNG Avn units became part of the 42d out of NY and the 28th out of PA. He was out of Brainard field first and then they moved to Bradley.

Here's an example of the aforementioned metal badge with the space for engraving, just what was to be engraved on it, I don't know, don't know the size either, if it was made to be worn on a Class A and or Khaki shirt, and could of been engraved on the rear, perhaps a large size, larger than a standard DI.

post-34986-0-97907200-1533436975.jpgpost-34986-0-79650200-1533437009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

On 2/8/2017 at 12:26 PM, patches said:

phpIE0LmLPM.jpg

• 6 months later...

Taking the liberty to share this PM from  member rtd_sf_eng on his personal recollections on this Connecticut pocket patch.

Both the patch and badge were worn by the members of the CTARNG, especially the ones who were assigned to the 26th Division.  In 1976 I was TDY to Fort Drum as the Range Maintenance NCOIC.  We would issue range flags and other equipment when the units were to use the firing ranges.  I also stated collecting the insignias from the various units that used the ranges and one officer from the CTARNG had the cloth patch on the left pocket of his fatigue uniform.  I asked about the patch and he opens up his attaché case and gives me not just the cloth patch but the metal badge.  He told me they used them on their Class A's or Greens.

• 2 months later...

Just found this Fatigue Shirt with the Connecticut PP, shirt once worn by Major General John F. Freund when he was Connecticut Adjutant General 1972-1982. We see his 199th Infantry Brigade (Sep) Combat patch, and we assume the other patch that's not in view is the Connecticut NG HQ one, Subdued.

gtyyy.jpg.82aa6a61837395fee37998b99c2d2884.jpgindex.jpg.4dc9a1d9fad8b2746eb64d01be513bd3.jpg

Freund as C.O. 199th Infantry Brigade (Sep) March 1967-September 1967. Freund interestingly enough was a Annapolis Grad, Class of 1940. upon graduating from the Naval Academy he goes into the Army.

fryyyt5.jpg.7f45591f9f08d1e7d5de97afed90b0f0.jpg

• 1 year later...

Found another one, with that Engineer Castle pocket patch sewn as is common above the tape, sold along time ago, can't see what shoulder patch if any is sewn on it the way the seller photo'd it, maybe there where more photos of it, but these are the only ones still viewable for it

conn.jpg

connn.jpg