Atlanta style CSA buckle

Just obtained this buckle on trade/cash deal. I'm a little weak on buckles and am vetting it on numerous forums.

Your opinions are welcome and appreciated.post-154333-0-02547200-1486428617.jpgpost-154333-0-02547200-1486428617.jpgpost-154333-0-50340100-1486428636.jpg

Certainly an interesting piece of history, and a bit earlier on the timeline than most other items on here. It looks like it's made of copper???

Here's a link to Harry Ridgeway's reference library on CSA Atlanta style buckles:

www.relicman.com/plates/zLibraryPlate.784.CSA.Pattern084RectangleCSAAtlanta.htm

He also has really good information on fakes and reproductions.

No , it's brass with some copper content as confederate brass was but most of coloration is a chocolate patina that develops due to ground action of over 100 years

thanks RBG, yes am in contact with Ridgeway and have sent pics

I can't add any info to this thread, but would be interested in what the experts say about this buckle. CSA artifacts are a minefield. Thanks for posting it.

BKW

That sticker is from Beverly Means DuBose, Jr collection, died 1953. He and his son Bo's collection is in the Atlanta History Center. Hanover Brass bought many original CSA buckles from his collection.

That sticker is from Beverly Means DuBose, Jr collection, died 1953. He and his son Bo's collection is in the Atlanta History Center. Hanover Brass bought many original CSA buckles from his collection.

It is my understanding that this buckle was from that estate sale years ago and that Daniel Griffin picked it up from a guy who probably picked it up there and kept in his collection for years. I really like it and think it's nice.

This piece came from Dan Griffin on a trade and cash deal. I feel pretty sure it's good, have gotten 4/5 experts I've sent pics to giving it thumbs up!!

I keep coming back to this thread...cant stop looking at it!....mike

It is indeed one of those pieces that talks to you!

I'm on your side. If "you" like the buckle, put it in your collection, and take your stand. I bought an item, on my way to the SOS one year, carried it around all day getting expert opinions, and left more confused than ever. When you pick it up, I bet that it "Whistled Dixie" to you, and that's good enough for me. Thank you for posting this piece of history.

I've been collecting buckles for four decades. Would help to have exact measurements including thickness as well as side view for better view of hooks. Most real experts I have talked to would be hesitant to put their stamp of approval without having it in hand but I sure like what I see. If the DuBose connection is legit the buckle comes from one of the pioneers of Civil War collectors and his name shows up in most collector books. I would send the pictures and measurements to Gary at Hanover Brass and see if he has time to share his opinion. If he says it's good then it's good.

Ron

Hi, the measurements are 47x70 mm . Have gotten thumbs up from Brian Akins of Rebel Relics, John Spicer of Champion Hill Relics, and Larry Hicklen.

I'll include side pic now.Thanks for comments

I've been collecting buckles for four decades. Would help to have exact measurements including thickness as well as side view for better view of hooks. Most real experts I have talked to would be hesitant to put their stamp of approval without having it in hand but I sure like what I see. If the DuBose connection is legit the buckle comes from one of the pioneers of Civil War collectors and his name shows up in most collector books. I would send the pictures and measurements to Gary at Hanover Brass and see if he has time to share his opinion. If he says it's good then it's good.

Ron

Well Ron, I took your advice and sent pics to Gary Williams of Hannover Brass. Got reply about 30 mins ago and he said looks fine to him, saw no problems with it at all. Thanks for advice. I feel much better about it now.

Bill

• 1 year later...

You did the right thing in asking all the experts. Your hard work paid off especially getting Gary's opinion. You have an authentic CSA Atlanta from one of the pioneer collectors of Civil War. Congratulations.

Ron

• 1 month later...