Color of Army Artillery Officer's Garrison Cap and Piping

WWII Legacy Girl

WWII Legacy Girl

Hello,

What color would an Army Artillery Officer's garrison cap and piping have been? In this photo of my great-grandfather, I am pretty sure he is in the khaki shirt and tie, but I don't know what color the cap would have been. Thanks!

post-162312-0-37064000-1486407004_thumb.jpg

WWII Legacy Girl

Thanks everyone! Would the color pf the cap have been the officer's OD, or would if have been khaki like the picture PATCHES posted?

There were uniforms for summer and winter.

Typically the tan was a summer wear article or with the summer tan jacket or the shirt tie for the prescribed uniform.

The one in your photo posted is the tan/khaki cap.

There is also a pink version but as I recall that was an optional uniform item.

WWII Legacy Girl

There were uniforms for summer and winter.

Typically the tan was a summer wear article or with the summer tan jacket or the shirt tie for the prescribed uniform.

The one in your photo posted is the tan/khaki cap.

There is also a pink version but as I recall that was an optional uniform item.

Thanks so very much!!!

Your most welcome!

If you havent gotten a copy pick up a copy of the WW2 Officers Guide.Can be very helpful.

There are several additions from the war.I have one marked to an Army nurse and a couple others.The ones I typically see are the 1943 and 44 dated ones.Format the same but Im sure some corrections and changes were added.

There is a lot of uniform items discussed as far as what to wear or what is required opposed to "optional" as well as Field and dress items.The books even show ranks,wings and one volume has the color chart of some WW2 patches in it.There is a section/chart even for the branch piping color of caps.Shade of uniform articles are discussed etc.Even charts for the number of item they officer is required to have(ties,trousers,wool knit cap,field coat,mussette bag etc).They even state when buying items there is a standard of quality to be expected.

As I recall they address the gold and black for regular officers and mention a silver black for Warrant and Flight Officers.Im not sure how closely this was followed or adhered to as I have a flight officers group to a glider pilot and he wore the standard gold and black piped overseas cap(s).

Copies are not real expensive typically and I think most of mine I have found under $20.Even seen a copy or two at the Half Price Book Store from time to time.

WWII Legacy Girl

Your most welcome!

If you havent gotten a copy pick up a copy of the WW2 Officers Guide.Can be very helpful.

There are several additions from the war.I have one marked to an Army nurse and a couple others.The ones I typically see are the 1943 and 44 dated ones.Format the same but Im sure some corrections and changes were added.

There is a lot of uniform items discussed as far as what to wear or what is required opposed to "optional" as well as Field and dress items.The books even show ranks,wings and one volume has the color chart of some WW2 patches in it.There is a section/chart even for the branch piping color of caps.Shade of uniform articles are discussed etc.Even charts for the number of item they officer is required to have(ties,trousers,wool knit cap,field coat,mussette bag etc).They even state when buying items there is a standard of quality to be expected.

As I recall they address the gold and black for regular officers and mention a silver black for Warrant and Flight Officers.Im not sure how closely this was followed or adhered to as I have a flight officers group to a glider pilot and he wore the standard gold and black piped overseas cap(s).

Copies are not real expensive typically and I think most of mine I have found under $20.Even seen a copy or two at the Half Price Book Store from time to time.

Thanks a lot!!!